Stop drone attacks, Zardari tells USApril 26th, 2011 - 2:00 pm ICT by IANS
Islamabad, April 26 (IANS) President Asif Ali Zardari has urged the US to stop drone attacks in the country’s tribal areas after a group of parliamentarians spoke of the growing resentment among local people against it.
The issue came up when parliamentarians from the Federally Administered Tribal Areas (FATA) met Zardari Monday, Dawn reported.
President’s spokesperson Farhatullah Babar said the FATA delegation apprised the president of the resentment against drone attacks. They also highlighted civilian casualties in the attacks.
Zardari spoke of the need to transfer drone technology to police and civil armed forces, Babar said.
Zardari said the government had a clear stance that drone attacks were counter-productive and were intensifying anti-American sentiments.
“Although members of FATA delegation agreed that several top militant leaders have been killed in US drone attacks, the number of civilian casualties has become quite high, causing anti-government and anti-US sentiments in tribal areas,” Babar was quoted as saying.
- Building mutual trust key to defeating terror: Zardari - Apr 27, 2012
- Nine killed in Pakistan drone strike - Jul 12, 2011
- Zardari calls for addressing all issues souring US-Pak relationship - Mar 25, 2011
- 'Anti-Americanism' poses bigger challenge for Pak Army than Taliban - Mar 17, 2011
- Pakistan summons US diplomat to protest drone strikes - Aug 23, 2012
- Pakistan summons US envoy over drone strikes - Jun 05, 2012
- US aborted drone attack on Sirajuddin Haqqani in Pak over fear of civilian deaths - Feb 23, 2011
- Pak playing 'cheap politics' by secretly backing and publicly bashing US drone attacks - Apr 16, 2011
- Five killed in US drone strike in Pak's Khyber region - May 16, 2010
- Majority of Pakistanis see US drone attacks "as their liberator," finds new study - Oct 14, 2010
- US drone strike kills seven in Pakistan - Sep 21, 2010
- Two US drone strikes kill 19 in Pakistan - Sep 22, 2010
- Gilani 'condemns' US drone attacks in Pak tribal areas, but wants drone technology - Dec 30, 2010
- Four Taliban commanders killed in US drone attack in FATA - Aug 28, 2010
- At least six militants killed, several injured in US missile strike in North Waziristan - Sep 08, 2010