SriLankan Airlines to join global airline allianceJune 11th, 2012 - 6:31 pm ICT by IANS
Beijing, June 11 (IANS) Global airline alliance ‘Oneworld’ Monday said the Colombo-based SriLankan Airlines would join its ranks towards the end of 2012.
Nordic carrier Finnair, which is part of ‘Oneworld’ alliance, welcomed the move which will help other airlines who are part of the pact to provide competitive prices, cost savings and add more destinations to the alliance’s network.
“SriLankan Airlines’ joining of the alliance means further growth in the coverage of South Asia and strengthens the competitiveness of Oneworld in a globally competitive environment,” said Paavo Virkkunen, responsible for Oneworld relations at Finnair.
“Finnair’s connections to SriLankan Airlines’ destinations, such as the Maldives, will improve as a result and the Finnair-plus loyal customer programme will widen to include SriLankan’s network.”
The selection of SriLankan Airlines for membership was announced on the sidelines of the International Air Transport Association (IATA) World Transport summit being held in Beijing.
The airline will also bring in three new destinations in southern India to the ‘Oneworld’ network, namely Kochi, Tiruchirapalli and Thiruvananthapuram.
Currently, the alliance has 12 airline members and two member-elect passenger carriers.
After SriLankan Airlines’ accession to the alliance, the Oneworld network will cover about 860 destinations in over 150 countries.
- Oneworld awarded best airline alliance award - Dec 02, 2011
- Finnair not averse to Kingfisher's direct flights to Helsinki - Sep 14, 2011
- Kingfisher Airlines, Finnair enhance frequent flyer cooperation - Mar 18, 2011
- Kingfisher to join oneworld airline alliance from February - Dec 19, 2011
- Finnair looking at Indian cities beyond New Delhi - Sep 09, 2010
- Kingfisher member-elect of Oneworld global airline alliance - Jun 07, 2010
- SriLankan to fly daily to Beijing, Shanghai - Jul 08, 2012
- Finnair serves seven more Indian cities in pact with Kingfisher - Aug 28, 2011
- Finnair to start daily Helsinki-Delhi service from January - Sep 07, 2010
- Pact with Kingfisher sees Finnair's Asia traffic look up - Sep 12, 2011
- India demand spurs daily Delhi service by Finnair (Lead) - Sep 07, 2010
- Finnair sees India as key market for tourism, transit - Jun 07, 2012
- British Airways completes oneworld co-location in Tokyo - Oct 26, 2010
- Kingfisher to join Oneworld alliance of global airlines - Feb 23, 2010
- Star Alliance to decide Air India's induction date Sunday (Lead) - Jul 30, 2011
Tags: air transport association, airline alliance, airline members, beijing, competitive environment, competitiveness, finnair, global airline, international air transport, international air transport association, loyal customer, oneworld network, pact, passenger carriers, sidelines, South Asia, southern india, srilankan airlines, tiruchirapalli, world transport