Sri Lankan sprint queen to lead Olympic squadJuly 25th, 2008 - 3:35 pm ICT by IANS
Colombo, July 25 (Xinhua) Sri Lankan sprint queen Susanthika Jayasinghe has been elected to lead the country’s Olympic squad to next month’s Beijing Games, it was reported by the media here Friday. Daily Mirror said this announcement was made by the National Olympic Committee of Sri Lanka. Susanthika will carry the Sri Lanka flag at the opening ceremony and lead a team of four women and four men to the Beijing Games starting Aug 8. The team will leave for Beijing Aug 5.
Sri Lanka is pinning its hopes on Jayasinghe to bring home the gold medal this time.
In 2000, Susanthika became the country’s first Olympic Games medallist since 1948, when she finished behind Marion Jones and Pauline Davis-Thompson in the women’s 200 metres.
She also won a gold medal in the 200 metres event at the World Championships in Japan last year.
- IOC denies Thanou sprint gold - Dec 10, 2009
- Sri Lankan Susanthika Jayasinghe retires from athletics - Feb 05, 2009
- Olympics won't be easy for Bolt: Mennea - Jul 13, 2012
- Bolt will face stiff challenge from Blake: Holmes - May 04, 2012
- South Korea aims 10 gold medals at London Olympics - Apr 19, 2012
- Cuba expecting better show at London Olympics - Jul 19, 2012
- China set to challenge US dominance in pool - Jul 11, 2012
- Kavita Raut wins gold with record timing - Feb 21, 2011
- Canada hopes to finish among top 12 in London - May 30, 2012
- China, US to battle it out for top position in London - Jul 22, 2012
- China's tennis team faces uphill task at London Olympics - Jul 09, 2012
- China grab five golds in track cycling at Asian Games - Nov 17, 2010
- No Stosur, Hewitt in Australia's CWG tennis squad - Aug 18, 2010
- World Athletics: Veronica denies Jeter, Felix history - Sep 02, 2011
- China can't reach Beijing gold haul in London, says official - Apr 20, 2012
Tags: beijing, colombo, daily mirror, first olympic games, four men, four women, gold medal, marion jones, national olympic committee, olympic games, olympic squad, opening ceremony, pauline, sprint, sri lanka flag, sri lankan, susanthika jayasinghe, thompson, world championships in japan, xinhua