Sri Lankan President visits NepalMarch 2nd, 2009 - 3:56 pm ICT by ANI
Kathmandu, Mar 2 (ANI): Sri Lankan President Mahinda Rajapaksa today arrived on a three-day state visit to Nepal at the invitation of Nepali President Dr Ram Baran Yadav. According to Nepalnews, President Rajapaksa arrived here with his wife Shiranthi Rajapaksa and other high-level Sri Lankan delegates.
Dr Yadav will host banquet at his office in honor of the Sri Lankan President later today.
He is scheduled to meet Prime Minister Prachanda and discussed bilateral talks on issues related to trade, investment, tourism, agriculture, aviation and other feasible areas where the two countries can cooperate with each other.
Rajapaksa will also visit Buddhist Shrines in Lumbini and the South Asian Association for Regional Cooperation (SAARC) Secretariat in Thamel.
According to Nepal tourism entrepreneurs, revival of air service between Kathmandu and Colombo will significantly boost Nepal’’s tourism industry.
Meanwhile, security has been tightened in Kathmandu in view of the ongoing insurgency in Sri Lanka steered by the separatist armed outfit, LTTE. Some 1500 security personnel including Nepal Police, Armed Police and Nepal Army have been deployed at various places in Kathmandu.
Rajapaksa, current Chair of the SAARC, is the first head of state to visit Nepal after the country was declared a federal democratic republic in May 2008. (ANI)
- Rajapaksa expected in Nepal again - Oct 05, 2009
- Sri Lankan president in Nepal on pilgrimage - Oct 29, 2009
- Sri Lanka gift brings Buddha alive in Nepal - May 17, 2011
- LTTE fears colour Sri Lanka president's Nepal visit - Mar 02, 2009
- Rajapaksa shortens Nepal visit over attack on Lankan cricket team at Lahore - Mar 03, 2009
- Rajapaksa cuts short Nepal visit after attack on cricket team (Lead) - Mar 03, 2009
- Sri Lanka, Singapore sign trade agreement - Feb 16, 2012
- Rajapaksa cuts short Nepal visit, sends minister to Pakistan (Second Lead) - Mar 03, 2009
- Sri Lankan president orders security for Nasheed's wife - Feb 11, 2012
- Rajapaksa visits Pakistan - Feb 10, 2012
- Rajapaksa cuts short Nepal visit after attack on cricket team - Mar 03, 2009
- Sri Lanka, China seek to strengthen military ties - Sep 01, 2012
- India committed to making a democratic, stable Nepal: Nirupama Rao - Jan 18, 2011
- Rajapaksa visits Pakistan (Lead) - Feb 10, 2012
- Sri Lankan president ends Shimla visit - Jun 11, 2010
Tags: armed police, baran, bilateral talks, buddhist shrines, federal democratic republic, head of state, kathmandu, lumbini, mahinda rajapaksa, nepal police, nepal tourism, prachanda, president dr, president mahinda rajapaksa, security personnel, south asian association, south asian association for regional cooperation, sri lankan president, thamel, tourism industry