Sri Lankan President to address nation at 6 pmMay 18th, 2009 - 6:00 pm ICT by ANI
Colombo, May 18 (ANI): Sri Lankan President Mahinda Rajapaksa will address the nation today at 6 pm after the Lankan Army declared victory in his nation’s over quarter of a century civil war with the Tamil Tigers rebels.
Earlier in the day, the Sri Lankan Army claimed that Liberation of Tamil Ealam (LTTE) chief Velupillai Prabhakaran was shot dead by Sri Lankan Special Forces, as he tried to stage a dramatic breakout from an army encirclement.
Prabhakaran’s respected death comes shortly after soldiers stumbled upon the bodies of several key LTTE leaders, including his son Charles Anthony, who headed the group’s IT wing and was being groomed to take over his father’s mantle.
The deaths sparked frenzied celebrations in the capital Colombo and large parts of the Sinhalese populated central and southern provinces as people poured out of their homes, waved national flags and distributed sweets.
Prabhakaran founded the LTTE in 1976 and built it into an awesome military machine that at one point controlled a third of Sri Lanka’s land territory and two-thirds of its coastline. (ANI)
- Prabhakaran, top aides killed in Sri Lanka's war zone (Second Lead) - May 18, 2009
- Karunanidhi seeks Centre's intervention to save Lankan Tamils - May 18, 2009
- Will get Sri Lankan Tamils their rights: Jayalalithaa - Aug 11, 2011
- A candid post-mortem of the LTTE (Book Review) - Jul 16, 2012
- Sri Lanka welcomes foreign aid - May 19, 2012
- Sri Lanka's 26-year war ends as LTTE leader Prabhakaran killed (Intro Roundup) - May 18, 2009
- Death blow for LTTE as Prabhakaran, aides killed in Sri Lanka (Roundup) - May 18, 2009
- LTTE defeated, Sri Lanka free from terror: army chief - May 18, 2009
- India wanted LTTE 'put in its place': Norway report - Nov 11, 2011
- Curtail visits by Sri Lankan dignitaries: Jayalalithaa - Mar 07, 2012
- Prabhakaran's body found, Rajapaksa says LTTE vanquished (Roundup) - May 19, 2009
- Solheim to visit Sri Lanka -- to mend fences - Oct 18, 2010
- Sri Lanka declares end of war against LTTE after killing Prabhakaran - May 18, 2009
- A year later, few in Sri Lanka mourn Prabhakaran - May 17, 2010
- Free Fonseka, Sri Lankan opposition says (Lead) - May 02, 2012
Tags: breakout, capital colombo, celebrations, coastline, ealam, land territory, liberation, ltte leaders, mahinda rajapaksa, mantle, military machine, national flags, president mahinda rajapaksa, southern provinces, special forces, sri lankan army, sri lankan president, sweets, tamil tigers, velupillai prabhakaran