Sri Lankan ex-Army chief convicted for engaging in politics while on active serviceAugust 13th, 2010 - 10:25 pm ICT by BNO News
SRI LANKA (BNO NEWS) – A Sri Lankan military court convicted an ex-Army chief for engaging in politics while on active service on Friday, Al Jazeera television reported.
General Sarath Fonseka was sentenced to a dishonorable discharge which is subject to approval by Sri Lankan President Mahinda Rajapaksa. He would be stripped of his rank and medals once the sentence is ratified.
Fonseka has been under custody since January’s presidential election, when he failed to stage a military coup against President Rajapaksa, an allegation that the General has repeatedly denied.
In 2009, Fonseka led the Sri Lankan army to a victory against the Tamil Tigers and was considered a war hero after ending a conflict that lasted some 26 years. He shocked the nation after announcing his retirement from the army in order to run against Rajapaksa in the January presidential election. Fonseka and Rajapaksa had been close allies until this point.
General Fonseka still faces a second court martial on alleged corruption charges while in the army.
- Sri Lankan president ratifies ex-army chief's dishonorable discharge - Aug 14, 2010
- Sri Lanka opposition protests court martial of former army chief - Aug 17, 2010
- Sri Lanka ex-army chief convicted by military court (Lead) - Aug 13, 2010
- Three-year jail term for Sarath Fonseka - Sep 18, 2010
- Court martial politically motivated: Sri Lanka's ex-army chief - Sep 09, 2010
- Sri Lanka military court finds former Army chief guilty - Aug 13, 2010
- Fonseka jailed for three years - Nov 18, 2011
- Sri Lanka court frees ex-army chief's aides - Sep 25, 2010
- 'Politically victimised' Fonseka 'expects jail term' in 2nd court martial over corruption charges - Aug 20, 2010
- Fonseka loses MP seat appeal as Sri Lankan SC rules court martial legal - Jan 26, 2011
- Former Sri Lankan army chief to be tried for mutiny - Jun 07, 2012
- Hearing in fraud case against Rajapaksa begins - Jul 05, 2010
- Sri Lanka court frees four co-accused in Fonseka 'conspiracy' case - Sep 25, 2010
- My life is under threat: Sri Lankan ex-army chief - Jun 10, 2012
- Former Sri Lankan Army chief arrested, to be court-martialled (Second Lead) - Feb 09, 2010
Tags: active service, al jazeera, allegation, alleged corruption, allies, army chief, bno, corruption charges, dishonorable discharge, jazeera television, mahinda rajapaksa, medals, military coup, military court, presidential election, sarath fonseka, sri lankan army, sri lankan president, tamil tigers, war hero