Sri Lanka to exchange prisoners with four countriesJune 5th, 2012 - 8:05 pm ICT by IANS
Colombo, June 5 (IANS) Sri Lanka has signed prisoner exchange agreements with four countries, including India and Pakistan, and will start its implementation by sending back 22 Pakistanis detained in the island nation, an official said Tuesday.
Rehabilitation and Prison Reforms Minister Chandrasiri Gajadeera said Memorandums of Understanding have also been signed with the Maldives and Britain, Xinhua reported.
“As the first phase of the exchange, Sri Lanka will release 22 prisoners from Pakistan. They will be returned step by step once the papers are processed. Regulations call for the prisoners to be sent back two at a time that is how we will proceed,” he said.
Sri Lanka will also open its largest prison this month in Pallekele, around 130 km from Colombo, which will house over 3,000 inmates, according to the prison reforms ministry.
- Tamil prisoners on hunger strike in Sri Lanka - May 21, 2012
- ICC announces 2012 World T20 schedule - Sep 21, 2011
- Cash strapped Sri Lanka board reduces budget for Australia's tour - Jun 26, 2011
- Pakistan cricket team to tour Sri Lanka in June - Apr 30, 2012
- Sri Lanka to free 1,200 former rebels - Sep 19, 2011
- 15,000 people in Sri Lankan jails over unpaid fines - Aug 15, 2012
- Krishna flies to Jaffna to assist ethnic Tamils - Jan 18, 2012
- Manmohan, Rajapaksa to meet in Maldives, Tamil issue on agenda - Nov 09, 2011
- US favours independent probe in Maldives - Feb 14, 2012
- Sri Lanka, Kuwait to sign MoU for migrant workers - Mar 29, 2012
- India votes against Sri Lanka, tries to pacify Colombo (Second Intro Roundup) - Mar 22, 2012
- Blake to head US delegation at SAARC - Nov 08, 2011
- India asks Sri Lanka to launch dialogue for political settlement - Nov 26, 2010
- Sri Lanka-Australia match called off due to rain - Mar 05, 2011
- Sri Lanka assures India of political settlement, 7 pacts signed (Roundup) - Jun 09, 2010
Tags: exchange agreements, implementation, india and pakistan, inmates, island nation, maldives, memorandums of understanding, pakistanis, prison reforms, prisoner exchange, prisoners, sri lanka, xinhua