Sri Lanka declares end of war against LTTE after killing PrabhakaranMay 18th, 2009 - 9:02 pm ICT by ANI
Colombo, May 18 (ANI): Sri Lanka on Monday formally announced the end of war against the Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam after chief V Prabhakaran was shot dead while trying to flee in an ambulance from the war zone in northern Sri Lanka.
The three-decade long fight by the LTTE for a separate homeland for Tamils came to end after the death of Tamil Tigers chief.
Defence Secretary Gotabhaya Rajapakse told President Mahinda Rajpakse on Monday in a nationally televised ceremony that Sri Lanka’s war against Tamil Tiger rebels has “ended successfully.”
“We have successfully ended the war,” he told the President, who is his brother and commander-in-chief of the Sri Lankan armed forces.
Sri Lankan military commanders also lined up and shook hands with him before starting closed-door talks.
The meeting came as state television and defence officials announced that Tamil Tiger leader Velupillai Prabhakaran and the entire rebel leadership had been killed on Monday by government troops.
According to the military, the Tamil Tigers tried to evacuate its leaders early this morning in two vehicles. Army special soldiers of 53 Division intercepted the vehicles moving north and destroyed the convoy after fierce fighting.
The military said it had found 150 bodies of LTTE cadres so far and they are in the process of identifying them.
Prabhakaran was shot dead as he tried to stage a dramatic breakout from the army encirclement, a military spokesman said.
The news of Prabhakaran’s death also came along with reports of bodies of his son Charles Anthony and three other top leaders — Pottu Amman, Soosai and Nadesan being found. (ANI)
- Prabhakaran is still alive, claims LTTE - May 19, 2009
- A candid post-mortem of the LTTE (Book Review) - Jul 16, 2012
- Is LTTEs Prabhakaran dead or not? - May 19, 2009
- Sri Lankan president announces end of civil war, Prabhakaran's body found (Third Lead) - May 19, 2009
- Sri Lanka's 26-year war ends as LTTE leader Prabhakaran killed (Intro Roundup) - May 18, 2009
- Prabhakaran alive, claims pro-LTTE website - May 19, 2009
- Death blow for LTTE as Prabhakaran, aides killed in Sri Lanka (Roundup) - May 18, 2009
- Prabhakaran's body found, Rajapaksa says LTTE vanquished (Roundup) - May 19, 2009
- Sri Lanka denies surrendering Tamil leaders were slaughtered - Dec 13, 2009
- Prabhakaran's mother dies in Sri Lanka - Feb 20, 2011
- International Tamil rebel network still active: Sri Lanka - Jun 21, 2010
- Ahead of elections, pro-LTTE journal attacks Karunanidhi - Apr 11, 2011
- Swiss to grill Tamil Tigers in Sri Lanka - Jul 27, 2012
- Post victory over LTTE, Mahinda Rajapaksa assures Tamils of equal rights - May 19, 2009
- Tamil Nadu calls for sanctions against Sri Lanka - Jun 08, 2011
Tags: breakout, cadres, defence officials, defence secretary, government troops, liberation tigers of tamil eelam, ltte, mahinda, military commanders, military spokesman, northern sri lanka, rajapakse, soosai, sri lankan, state television, tamil tiger rebels, tamil tigers, tiger leader, velupillai prabhakaran, war zone