Sri Lanka cricket board ‘amicably resolves’ contract rowJuly 11th, 2008 - 12:13 am ICT by IANS
By P. Karunakharan
Colombo, July 10 (IANS) The Sri Lanka Cricket (SLC) Thursday “amicably resolved” the issue of players’ contract that has remained a dispute since March this year. “We are pleased to announce that the annual contracts for the year 2008-09 have been finalised amicably and would be signed by the players by mid of next week,” the Sri Lankan Cricketers Association (SLCA), which looks after the interests of the players, said in a statement Thursday.
It said the SLC and SLCA along with the national players “discussed several developments related to the annual fees, match payments and the player welfare aspect as well”.
“SLC was keen to provide (pay) increase for the junior players and also encourage non-contract players to get into the senior ranking by way of higher match fees,” the SLCA said, describing the move as a “very encouraging one”.
There was no immediate reaction from the players’ association in this regard.
Sri Lankan cricketers, who registered their first Asia Cup win overseas after beating India at the finals in Lahore Sunday, returned home Wednesday.
At a reception hosted by President Mahinda Rajapaksa at the Temple Trees Wednesday, the players have reportedly discussed many issues related to future of cricket in the island nation.
According to reports, the players have urged President Rajapaksa to help rescheduling “the hastily arranged Test tour of England” as the itinerary clashes with the lucrative Indian Premier League 2009.
The Sri Lankan cricketers had taken part in the Asia Cup tournament in the absence of player contracts and the cricketers put the financial matters to concentrate on playing the tournament.
Annual player contracts, according to regulations, should have been finalised by March 31.
- Sri Lanka cricketers end battle for contracts - Jul 18, 2012
- ICC pays delayed salaries of Sri Lankan cricketers - Dec 20, 2011
- Sri Lanka to ban sportsmen refusing to represent country - Jun 11, 2012
- Sri Lankan President to watch World Cup final in Mumbai - Mar 31, 2011
- Patil, Rajapaksa to watch World Cup final in Mumbai (Lead) - Mar 31, 2011
- President Patil to watch WC cricket final along with her Lankan counterpart - Mar 31, 2011
- Patil, Rajapaksa to watch World Cup final in Mumbai (Second Lead) - Mar 31, 2011
- Cricket World Cup will strengthen ties between nations: Pawar - Feb 17, 2011
- Sri Lanka cricket officials rush to meet BCCI - Jun 21, 2011
- Patil, Rajapaksa to watch World Cup final in Mumbai - Mar 31, 2011
- Lankan players to participate in IPL till May 18 - Apr 21, 2011
- Sri Lankan cricketers want contract issue settled early - Jul 17, 2012
- BCCI terms Lanka's decision to recall its players from IPL as inappropriate - Apr 21, 2011
- SLC hopes to convince BCCI to allow participation of Indian cricketers (Lead) - Jun 19, 2011
- Jayawardene to take legal action against Lanka channel for fixing claims - Mar 02, 2011
Tags: asia cup, clashes, colombo, cricket board, financial matters, island nation, itinerary, lahore, mahinda rajapaksa, match, player contracts, premier league, president mahinda rajapaksa, regard, slc, slca, sri lanka cricket, sri lankan cricketers, temple trees, welfare