Sri Lanka court issues arrest warrant against LTTE chiefJanuary 27th, 2009 - 4:53 am ICT by IANS
Colombo, Jan 27 (Xinhua) The High Court here Monday issued arrest warrants against Tamil Tiger rebels’ chief Velupillai Prabakaran and three others for the murder of Sri Lanka’s former foreign minister.The police, however, told the court that Prabakaran’s arrest was not possible due to the ongoing military operation in the north, where he is believed to be hiding. The case will be heard again May 13.
Former foreign minister Lakshman Kadirgamar was shot dead in his home in August 2005. Kadirgamar had led the government’s international campaign to ban the Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam (LTTE).
Prabakaran and other members of the group are currently on the run. The speculation is rife that he might have fled the country through the sea route.
The LTTE lost its administrative headquarters in Kilinochchi early this month. Its last stronghold, Mullaithivu, was also captured by the troops Sunday.
Sri Lanka’s Army Chief Sarath Fonseka said 95 percent of the task to eliminate terrorism from the country has been achieved.
The LTTE has been fighting the government troops for more than two decades to create a separate homeland for minority Tamils in the north and east of the country, claiming discrimination at the hands of Sinhalese dominated regimes. More than 70,000 people have been killed in the conflict.
- 'LTTE chief still hiding in Sri Lanka' - Jan 23, 2009
- Former Sri Lankan army chief to be tried for mutiny - Jun 07, 2012
- A valuable insight into Sri Lanka's peace process (IANS Book Review) - Feb 23, 2010
- LTTE: A Chronology - May 17, 2009
- Velupillai Prabhakaran: His life, times and death - May 18, 2009
- Sri Lanka's ex-Army chief arrested, to face court martial - Feb 09, 2010
- Free Fonseka, Sri Lankan opposition says (Lead) - May 02, 2012
- Resettlement of Sri Lankans displaced in LTTE battle by September end: Official - Aug 20, 2010
- Pakistan to help de-mining in Sri Lanka - Oct 25, 2011
- Sri Lanka's ex-army chief released from jail - May 21, 2012
- Rajapaksa gets nod to free jailed ex-army chief - May 17, 2012
- First visit to northern Sri Lanka by a president in 30 years - Jan 10, 2010
- Former Sri Lankan Army chief arrested, to be court-martialled (Second Lead) - Feb 09, 2010
- Sri Lankan ex-army chief gets bail - May 18, 2012
- International Tamil rebel network still active: Sri Lanka - Jun 21, 2010
Tags: administrative headquarters, army chief, arrest warrant against, arrest warrants, foreign minister, government troops, international campaign, lakshman, lakshman kadirgamar, liberation tigers of tamil eelam, liberation tigers of tamil eelam ltte, military operation, minority tamils, prabakaran, regimes, sarath fonseka, sea route, speculation, tamil tiger rebels, xinhua