Sri Lanka board drops Jayasuriya from contract listApril 11th, 2008 - 5:21 pm ICT by admin
Colombo, April 11 (IANS) Sri Lanka Cricket (SLC) have virtually shut the door on the continuation of Sanath Jayasuriya’s international career by dropping him from the list of contracted players for next year, according to a media report here. Daily Mirror newspaper quoted selection committee sources as saying that they have “decided to drop the veteran all-rounder from a list of players to be contracted for next year”.
The 38-year old master-blaster, who retired last year from Test cricket, has represented Sri Lanka in 110 Tests and 411 one-day internationals and was dropped for the ongoing tour of West Indies due to poor form.
“Jayasuriya will only be offered tour contracts if he is selected, selection committee sources said.
“Only four ‘A’ grade players such as Mahela Jayawardene, Kumar Sangakkara, Muttiah Muralitharan and Chaminda Vaas have been picked for next year,” sources said.
Jayasuriya is one of the highest paid cricketers in Sri Lanka, currently earning around $100,000 per year.
The interim committee of SLC will take up the contracts for final approval after head Arjuna Ranatunga returns from a private tour overseas.
“We will offer the player contracts after the interim committee approves the list. There are a few issues still to be discussed such as the amount of money offered for each contract category and the composition of players in each category,” SLC chief executive officer Duleep Mendis said.
The ageing Jayasuriya became the third highest paid player of the Indian Premier League (IPL) when he was sold for a whopping $975,000 at a players’ auction earlier this year.
- Sri Lankan cricketers agree to return home early for England tour - Apr 20, 2011
- Sri Lanka interim cricket board dissolved - Jul 01, 2011
- Sri Lanka cricketers end battle for contracts - Jul 18, 2012
- Ranatunga says SL selectors must resign over team's poor performance - Jan 16, 2012
- Malinga's decision to play in lucrative IPL, but not Tests 'awkward': Duleep Mendis - Apr 21, 2011
- Sri Lankan sports minister orders report on cricket crisis - Jan 17, 2012
- Sri Lanka to sack Dilshan, Marsh for South African debacle - Jan 19, 2012
- Stuart Law named Sri Lanka coach for tour of England - Apr 07, 2011
- Sri Lankan cricketers want contract issue settled early - Jul 17, 2012
- Sri Lanka recall veteran Jayasuriya for ODIs and Twenty20 in England - Jun 09, 2011
- Sri Lanka forms new interim cricket committee - Jul 02, 2011
- Sri Lanka selectors must go, says Ranatunga (Lead) - Jan 16, 2012
- Sri Lanka T20 League attracts bids over $30 mn - Jun 26, 2012
- Indian, Sri Lankan cricket boards hopeful of finding a solution - Apr 21, 2011
- Rumesh Ratnayake is Sri Lanka coach for Australia series - Jul 15, 2011
Tags: chaminda vaas, chief executive officer, cricketers, daily mirror, day internationals, final approval, interim committee, international career, ipl, jayasuriya, jayawardene, master blaster, muttiah muralitharan, player contracts, private tour, sanath jayasuriya, selection committee, slc, sri lanka cricket, test cricket