Soni appeals for Sarabjit’s releaseJune 27th, 2012 - 3:50 pm ICT by IANS
Thiruvananthapuram, June 27 (IANS) Pakistan should look at the case of death row prisoner Sarabjit Singh sensitively and compassionately, Information and Broadcasting Minister Ambika Soni said Wednesday.
“I have come to know that Surjeet Singh’s death sentence was commuted to life term in 2004 during regime of an earlier president and he is now on a life term… and is being released,” Soni told reporters.
The minister added that she was sure that Pakistan authorities would look at the issue “sensitively, compassionately” and release both Surjeet Singh and Sarabjit Singh.
Home Minister P. Chidambaram said it was difficult to figure out how what happened.
“I cannot say why they appeared to put out that Sarabjit is the person who is being released and then they flipped and said that it is Surjeet who is being released,” said Chidambaram.
On June 26, the Pakistani media had carried reports of Sarabjit getting a presidential pardon. However, Islamabad clarified late evening that it was not Sarabjit but Surjeet Singh, his fellow inmate at Kot Lakhpat jail, who would be released.
- India renews request for Sarabjit's release, awaits clear picture (Second Lead) - Jun 27, 2012
- India calls for Sarabjit's release, upset at Pakistan's U-turn (Roundup) - Jun 27, 2012
- The wait ends: Surjeet Singh's family rejoices - Jun 27, 2012
- India presses for Sarabjit's release, awaits confirmation (Lead) - Jun 27, 2012
- Sarabjit's family shattered by Pakistan's 'cruel joke' (Lead) - Jun 27, 2012
- Sarabjit and Surjeet: Shock in one home, joy in another (Second Lead) - Jun 27, 2012
- Surjeet Singh, not Sarabjit Singh, to be released: Pakistan - Jun 27, 2012
- Jubilation to despair for Sarabjit's family - Jun 27, 2012
- Free Sarabjit, Krishna 'requests' Pakistan - Jun 27, 2012
- Pakistan does volte-face, says Surjeet Singh, not Sarabjit, to be released (Lead) - Jun 27, 2012
- Surjeet home after 30 years, says he was a spy (Roundup) - Jun 28, 2012
- Government should explain Sarabjit confusion: BJP - Jun 27, 2012
- Pakistan to release Sarabjit Singh soon, says lawyer - Sep 07, 2012
- Surjeet is home, after 30 years in Pakistan prison (Lead) - Jun 28, 2012
- Pakistan frees 311 Indian prisoners - Jun 27, 2012
Tags: ambika soni, authorities, case of death, death row prisoner, death sentence, fellow inmate, home minister, june 27, late evening, p chidambaram, pakistan, presidential pardon, regime, sarabjit singh