Soldier killed in firing at army post on LOCOctober 9th, 2008 - 2:56 pm ICT by IANS
Jammu, Oct 9 (IANS) An Indian Army soldier was killed in firing by infiltrators from Pakistan at a frontier post in Jammu and Kashmir’s mountainous Rajouri district late Wednesday night, an army official said.The army official said that Khanda post on the Line of Control in Rajouri district came under fire late in the night. A soldier of 2 Sikh Light Infantry, Amarjeet Singh, was killed before the troops returned the fire.
“It appeared to be fire by a group of militants who were trying to infiltrate into the Indian side from Pakistan,” said an official. The infiltrators seemed to have returned to Pakistan, he said. Asked whether it was firing from the Pakistani troops, Indian army officials replied: “We do not think it was from Pakistani troops”.
The army launched extensive search operations in the area. Incidents of infiltration attempts are on the rise from Pakistan, both across the International Border and the LOC. This is the fifth such attempt in the past fortnight.
Officials ascribe the spurt in infiltration attempts to the state assembly elections due this year. Many militant groups want to disrupt the poll, and they fear they may not be able to sneak in later as snow covers the passes.
- Army foils infiltration bid in Jammu - Jun 09, 2012
- Two BSF soldiers injured in Pakistani firing - Aug 07, 2012
- Army foils infiltration bid in Poonch - Sep 13, 2012
- Indian soldier killed in Pakistani firing - Jun 14, 2012
- Army foils infiltration bid in Kashmir - Jan 04, 2012
- 30 militants in Jammu's border districts: Army - Mar 22, 2012
- Ceasefire violation at LoC in J&K; - May 22, 2012
- Soldier injured in Pakistani firing on LoC - Jun 17, 2012
- Pak violates cease-fire in Poonch district, one soldier killed - Oct 25, 2010
- India to Pakistan: Truce violations jeopardise peace - Jun 23, 2012
- Pakistan halts firing at LoC - Jun 21, 2012
- Pakistani caught while crossing LoC - Apr 09, 2012
- Pakistani troops target Indian border posts - Jan 05, 2012
- Indian Army lodges protest over LoC firing (Lead) - Sep 29, 2010
- Army foils infiltration bid, arrests one - Feb 23, 2012