Smokers worse than defecating cows, says Malaysian clericMarch 28th, 2009 - 2:17 pm ICT by ANI
Kota Baru (Malaysia), Mar 28 (ANI): The Chief Minister of Lalaysia’s northern state of Kelantan and chief of hardline Islamic party has slammed Muslim smokers as being worse than defecating cows.
Muslims, who portray their Islamic image by wearing robes and skullcaps, but smoke, are more despicable than cows, said Nik Aziz Nik Mat, the respected and spiritual leader of the opposition Parti Islam SeMalaysia.
He said cigarette smoking was banned in Islam, and doctors, because the habit was hazardous to health.
“For example, a cow which defecates in the middle of the road, (we) cannot take legal action against it because it has no brain and cannot think. But human beings, who have brains, for them to do something which is wrong in religion and health-wise, what more when they are in an attire which symbolises Islam (wearing of skullcaps and robes), they can be regarded as being more despicable than cows,” Nik Aziz was quoted as saying by the Bernama news agency.
Nik Aziz said Pas would campaign for the public to boycott mainstream newspapers in reaction to the Federal Government’s suspension of the publishing permits of Harakah and Suara Keadilan, the mouthpieces of Pas and Parti Keadilan Rakyat, respectively.
The Home Ministry suspended the publishing permits of both publications from March 23.
Home Minister Syed Hamid Albar said action was taken because they often published articles which were defamatory and aimed at causing confusion and disharmony in society. (ANI)
- Sex video controversy: Malaysian politician Anwar told to swear on Quran - Apr 21, 2011
- Malaysian Govt. to decide on use of word the ''Allah'': PAS - Mar 02, 2009
- Bible translated in Malaysian language no affront to Muslims: Ulema - Mar 19, 2011
- In Malaysia, defection may lead to divorce - Nov 07, 2009
- Malaysia's Islamist party gives nod to non-Muslim candidates - Jun 12, 2010
- PAS must look after Indians, Chinese, says its vice-president - Aug 08, 2010
- Valentine's Day not Christian fest: Malaysian churches - Feb 11, 2011
- Malaysian Youth wings condemn state govt's proposed Valentine's Day crackdown - Feb 11, 2011
- Malaysia's Sisters of Islam tells party not to play Valentine's Day moral police - Feb 10, 2011
- Islamist party of Malaysia favours use of word 'Allah' by Christians - Jan 05, 2010
- Malaysian spiritual leader urges Ulama to practice polygamy - Dec 11, 2009
- Differences in Malaysian opposition over Islamic law - Jan 09, 2009
- Malaysia''s PKR to field Indian candidate for Bukit Selambau seat - Feb 10, 2009
- UK Muslim schools' pupils taught Hindus have 'no intellect', they 'drink cow p***' - Feb 13, 2011
- Malaysian Muslim groups divided over 'Allah' ruling - Jan 20, 2010
Tags: bernama news agency, chief minister, cigarette smoking, defecating, disharmony, harakah, health wise, home minister, home ministry, islamic party, leader of the opposition, mainstream newspapers, mouthpieces, parti islam, parti keadilan, skullcaps, spiritual leader, state of kelantan, suara keadilan, syed hamid albar