Slain Pakistani reporter to be honoured in USMay 10th, 2012 - 6:02 pm ICT by IANS
Washington, May 10 (IANS/AKI) Slain Pakistani reporter Syed Saleem Shahzad’s name will be included in a two-storey glass memorial in US that will display the names of journalists who have died in the line of duty.
The badly beaten body of the 40-year-old Shahzad, who worked as Southeast Asia bureau chief for the Asia Times Online and also for the AKI news agency, was found 150 km from Islamabad in May 2011, two days after he disappeared from the Pakistani capital.
The May 14 ceremony will honour Shahzad and 71 other journalists who last year lost their lives because of their work. They will have their names etched on the Journalists Memorial at the Newseum in Washington.
“He was killed for writing the truth and for this he sacrificed his life,” the Newseum quoted Shahzad’s brother as saying.
Suspicion over Shahzad’s murder fell on Pakistani spy agency Inter-Services Intelligence (ISI). Before his disappearance, Shahzad published an article in Asia Times Online alleging links between Al Qaeda and officials in the Pakistan Navy.
The ISI denied involvement in his death.
- ISI left out in Pakistani journalist's killing report: HRW - Jan 30, 2012
- Family waits for report on Pakistani journalist's killing - Nov 30, 2011
- Pakistan human rights commission urges release of missing journalist - May 31, 2011
- Pakistan reporter was not supposed to be killed: Report - Sep 30, 2011
- Shahzad's widow to collect journalism prize - Jul 08, 2011
- Abducted Pakistani journalist tortured, killed: Official (Night Lead) - May 31, 2011
- Abducted Pakistani journalist is dead, says media (Second Lead) - May 31, 2011
- Probe complete in Pakistani journalist's killing - Dec 14, 2011
- Abducted Pakistani journalist tortured and killed (Intro Night Lead) - Jun 01, 2011
- Pakistani journalist abducted by ISI? (Lead) - May 31, 2011
- ISI ordered Shahzad's killing: US officials - Jul 05, 2011
- Italian MP wants international probe into Shahzad's murder - Jun 16, 2011
- Pakistani journalist in ISI custody: Rights body - May 31, 2011
- Pakistani journalist goes missing - May 30, 2011
- Pakistan mourns Shahzad, killers roam free (Roundup) - Jun 01, 2011
Tags: al qaeda, asia times, brother, bureau chief, dg, disappearance, honour, intelligence, inter services, isi, islamabad, journalists memorial, line of duty, news agency, newseum, pakistan navy, saleem shahzad, southeast asia, spy agency, suspicion