Six terrorists killed on Kashmir borderMay 12th, 2012 - 2:41 pm ICT by IANS
Srinagar, May 12 (IANS) The death toll in Thursday’s gunfight on Jammu and Kashmir’s border has risen to six, and Indian troops are searching the area for more bodies, an official said Saturday.
The incident took place at Uri in Baramulla district along the Line of Control (LoC) that divides Kashmir between India and Pakistan.
“The gunfight ended Thursday but we are still carrying out searches,” a military spokesman told IANS here.
“Bodies of four terrorists were recovered Thursday while wireless intercepts of terrorists confirm that six were killed in the gun battle,” the spokesman said.
Soldiers on the border had laid an ambush to target a group of heavily armed guerrillas who were trying to infiltrate into the Kashmir Valley from Pakistan on Thursday.
“We had intelligence for about a month that 30-40 heavily armed terrorists were planning to infiltrate. On Thursday we had actionable intelligence… We laid an ambush.
“The infiltrators belonged to a mixed group of local and foreign terrorists. Since the terrain is hilly and rugged, the searches needed to be carried on for a longer time,” Brigadier B.S. Raju told reporters.
- Three terrorists killed, gunfight on in Kashmir - Oct 23, 2010
- Another militant killed in Kashmir's Gurez sector - Aug 25, 2011
- Four guerrillas killed while crossing LoC - May 10, 2012
- Infiltration bid foiled in Kashmir; soldier, guerrilla killed - Sep 05, 2012
- Nine infiltrators killed, gunfight still on - Aug 30, 2010
- Eight militants killed in two Kashmir gun fights (Lead) - Oct 01, 2010
- Major infiltration bid foiled, 12 Lashkar men killed (Lead) - Aug 20, 2011
- Army foils major infiltration bid, five guerrillas killed - Aug 20, 2011
- Four infiltrators killed on LoC - Oct 01, 2011
- Seven LeT guerrillas, two soldiers killed in Kashmir (Fourth Lead) - May 07, 2010
- Infiltration bid foiled, six guerrillas killed - Aug 30, 2010
- 450 terrorists waiting to enter India, says army - Oct 25, 2010
- Soldier killed in Kashmir gunfight - Jul 28, 2011
- Four infiltration bids foiled in eight days in Kashmir - Aug 06, 2011
- Soldier killed while foiling infiltration bid - Aug 09, 2012
Tags: actionable intelligence, ambush, brigadier, death toll, foreign terrorists, guerrillas, gun battle, gunfight, india and pakistan, indian troops, infiltrators, intercepts, jammu and kashmir, kashmir, kashmir valley, loc, military spokesman, raju, uri