Six dead, 25 held hostage in Pakistan police station attack (Second Lead)June 25th, 2011 - 10:10 pm ICT by IANS
Islamabad, June 25 (IANS) Militants Saturday stormed a police station in northwest Pakistan, killing at least six policemen and taking 25 others hostage, Xinhua reported.
The attack occurred around 4.30 p.m. at a police station in the Kulachi area of Dera Ismail Khan district.
Grenade blasts and firing were heard shortly after 12 attackers entered the building. About 30 policemen were inside.
Army and police reinforcements who rushed to the site were unable to enter the building as policemen were held hostage.
A media report said the attackers were wearing suicide jackets. Some of them had taken position on the roof of the police station and were firing at the security forces who surrounded the building.
The exchange of fire between the militants and the security forces was still raging late Saturday evening.
The casualties on the militants’ side were not immediately known. No group has so far claimed responsibility for the attack.
- Militants storm police station in Pakistan, six dead (Lead) - Jun 25, 2011
- 12 dead in Pakistan police station attack - Jun 26, 2011
- Nine dead in Pakistan suicide bombing (Lead) - Jan 14, 2012
- Suicide bomber attacks Pakistan police station - Jan 14, 2012
- Three cops, 3 rebels killed in Peshawar suicide attack (Second Lead) - Feb 24, 2012
- Two killed in attack on Pakistan police station - Feb 24, 2012
- Three killed in suicide attack at Pakistan police station (Lead) - Feb 24, 2012
- No negotiations with Taliban: Rehman Malik - Jan 14, 2012
- Guerrillas attack Kashmir police officer's house - Dec 06, 2010
- Exporting terror has caused internal warfare: Pakistan daily - Jun 27, 2011
- One killed in attack on Pakistani police station - Jul 16, 2012
- Exporting terror led to internal warfare: Pakistan daily (Lead) - Jun 27, 2011
- Seven injured in Kashmir grenade attack - Aug 08, 2012
- Three hurt in Kashmir grenade attack - May 19, 2012
- Militants attack Pakistan air base - Aug 16, 2012
Tags: army, attackers, blasts, casualties, dera ismail khan, dera ismail khan district, grenade, hostage, ismail khan, late saturday evening, militants, northwest, pakistan, police reinforcements, police station, policemen, security forces, suicide, xinhua