Sindh High Court adjourns hearing of Geo TV case till December 4November 29th, 2007 - 8:00 pm ICT by admin
Islamabad, Nov.29 (ANI): The Sindh High Court today adjourned the hearing of a case relating to the ban on Dubai-based Geo TV till December 4.
A two-judge bench of the high court, comprising Justice Muneeb Ahmed Khan and Justice Dr Rana Shamim Ahmed, issued the order after Deputy Attorney General Rizwan Ahmed Siddiqi submitted that a petition has been filed in the Supreme Court on the same subject matter that had barred the writ jurisdiction of the high court.
Siddiqi further pleaded the engagements of the Attorney General of Pakistan in Islamabad did not allow him to come to Karachi to appear in person to deliberate on the petitions. He, therefore, sought further time.
Muhammad Ali Mazhar, an advocate who is the counsel for petitioners Independent Media Pvt Ltd and Bird Pvt Ltd, said the petition in the apex court was filed by Kazi Shaharyar in which the very law, the PEMRA (amendment) ordinance 2007 has been challenged.
Mazhar further pleaded that petitioners had not challenged the ordinance, which places restrictions on electronic media. These restrictions were being followed by all four channels of the Geo TV Network strictly.
He said petitioners are aggrieved parties and their right to seek remedy from high court could not be taken away if any Tom or Peter files a petition in Supreme Court.
When Justice Muneeb asked Siddiqui as to why he was not filing comments on behalf of the federal government, he maintained that certain documents, including some from Dubai regarding ban on Geo, were being collected. After completion of this task, he said he would file the comments. (ANI)
- 'Premature' plea against RIL's exploration licence rejected (Lead) - Sep 05, 2011
- Court adjourns plea of Reliance executives - Dec 22, 2011
- Gujarat Lokayukta's appointment upheld by high court (Third lead) - Jan 18, 2012
- No benefit to Reliance Group from UAS license: CBI - Oct 03, 2011
- Pak SC adjourns hearing of NRO review petition till Tuesday - Apr 11, 2011
- No CBI probe into Mumbai triple blasts: Supreme Court (Lead) - Mar 12, 2012
- Lawyer behind Yeddyurappa arrest faces contempt case - Oct 15, 2011
- 'Nod needed for hearing Essar, Loop plea' (Lead) - Jan 24, 2012
- 2G case: Court notice to CBI on Morani's plea - Mar 26, 2012
- Sindh HC directs probe agency to act lawfully on treason petition against Musharraf - Mar 08, 2011
- Z-security provided to judges linked to Ayodhya Title suit - Mar 27, 2012
- Gilani contempt verdict to be announced April 26 - Apr 24, 2012
- 2G case: Delhi High Court adjourns pleas of Balwa, Aggarwal - Jan 07, 2012
- LHC grants additional time to Pak Govt to reply about foreigners in Punjab - Apr 27, 2011
- Court to hear Tuesday Kalmadi plea to attend parliament - Aug 29, 2011
Tags: adjourned, ahmed khan, amendment ordinance, apex court, attorney general, dubai, geo tv, islamabad, justice, mazhar, media pvt, muhammad ali, pemra, petition, pvt ltd, restrictions, shamim ahmed, sindh high court, supreme court