Sikhs put off protest as Pak Govt cancels ‘plaza construction on gurdwara land’ dealMarch 25th, 2011 - 5:54 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, Mar 25(ANI): The Pakistan Government has decided to cancel the land deal done by the Pakistan Evacuee Trust Property Board (PETPB) with a local dealer for constructing a plaza over Gurdwara Deewan Khana.
The Pakistani Sikhs also put off their protest call after high ranking officials from the government held a meeting with the local Sikh leaders on Friday and declared their intension to cancel the deal.
Pakistan’s Sikh community was supposed to stage a protest today against the illegal sale of the Gurdwara Diwan Khana’s land and construction of a plaza on the land belonging to a historic Gurdwara.
According to the Liaquat-Nehru Pact, which was signed by the then Pakistan Prime Minister Liaquat Ali Khan and the then Indian Prime Minister Jawaharlal Nehru in New Delhi on April 8, 1950, both governments would be the custodian of the properties of the Hindus, Sikhs and the Muslims in their respective countries, but they had been barred from selling these properties. (ANI)
- Sikhs in Pakistan protest against plaza construction on gurdwara land - Mar 24, 2011
- SGPC requests Zardari to cancel controversial gurdwara land deal - Oct 08, 2009
- Land attached to Sikhs Shrines sold at throwaway prices in Pakistan - Oct 04, 2009
- Pakistan's Minority Minister orders inquiry into Gurdwara land deal - Dec 18, 2009
- Delay in acquisition of land for proposed Guru Nanak Dev University in Pakistan - Nov 20, 2010
- Pakistan Gurdwara invitation for Guru Nanak Dev 541st birth anniversary - Oct 22, 2010
- Attempt to usurp Pakistani gurdwara foiled - Feb 26, 2012
- Sikh delegation meets Pak PM in Lahore, takes up flexible visa issue demand - Nov 27, 2010
- Sham Singh to head Pakistan's Gurdwara Parbhandhak Committee - Jan 01, 2010
- 300 Pak Hindus in India on pilgrimage tour - Mar 23, 2011
- SGPC approaches Pakistan High Commission on atrocities over Sikhs and Gurdwaras - Dec 21, 2009
- Land belonging to Hindu, Sikh shrines targeted in Pakistan - Oct 09, 2010
- Sikhs barred from Pakistan gurdwara - Jul 20, 2011
- Pakistan wants written proposal on Kartarpur Corridor - Feb 26, 2010
- Pakistan to provide three-tier security cover to Sikh Jathas - Oct 13, 2009
Tags: custodian, deewan, governments, hindus, indian prime minister, indian prime minister jawaharlal, intension, jawaharlal nehru, liaquat ali khan, muslims, New Delhi, pact, pak govt, pakistan government, pakistani sikhs, prime minister jawaharlal, protest, sikh community, sikh leaders, trust property