Sikhs in Pakistan protest against plaza construction on gurdwara landMarch 24th, 2011 - 1:58 pm ICT by ANI
Lahore, Mar 24(ANI): Sikhs in Pakistan will stage a protest in Lahore on Friday over the construction of a plaza on gurdwara land.
They will stage a sit-in in front of the Punjab Assembly for two hours against the Evacuee Trust Property Board (ETPB) administration, Sikh leaders told The Express Tribune.
Former Pakistan Sikh Gurdwara Perbandhak Committee (PSGPC) President Sardar Bishon Singh said that if the government failed to stop the construction of a plaza over Gurdwara Deewan Khana, Indian Sikhs would join their protest and send delegations to Pakistan to record their disapproval.
He said that Prime Minister Yousaf Raza Gilani had met an Indian Sikh delegation led by Shiromani Gurdwara Perbandhak Committee (SGPC) representative Sardar Swinder Singh Doblia on November 27, 2010, and then told the ETPB to stop the construction of the plaza on the land.
The EPTB had complied with the order at that time, but a part of the gurdwara was demolished and the construction was resumed on March 19, he added.
Singh pointed out that if religious sites were not protected in the country, it would be a violation of the Constitution besides being an international embarrassment for Pakistan.
Meanwhile, EPTB chairman Asif Hashmi said that the deal to build a plaza on the gurdwara land had been struck with the nine tenants, who had temporary shops near the gurdwara for many years, before he took office.
He admitted that the site had religious significance for the Sikh community, adding that he would cancel the deal between the tenants and his department and return the amounts paid by the tenants as part of the deal. (ANI)
- Sikhs put off protest as Pak Govt cancels 'plaza construction on gurdwara land' deal - Mar 25, 2011
- Sikhs barred from Pakistan gurdwara - Jul 20, 2011
- Pakistan Gurdwara invitation for Guru Nanak Dev 541st birth anniversary - Oct 22, 2010
- Attempt to usurp Pakistani gurdwara foiled - Feb 26, 2012
- Sham Singh to head Pakistan's Gurdwara Parbhandhak Committee - Jan 01, 2010
- Pakistani Sikh parents demand separate Gurumukhi school for their kids - Jan 23, 2009
- 4,000 Sikhs reach Pakistan for Nanak's birth anniversary - Nov 19, 2010
- Sikh delegation meets Pak PM in Lahore, takes up flexible visa issue demand - Nov 27, 2010
- Pakistan's Minority Minister orders inquiry into Gurdwara land deal - Dec 18, 2009
- Land belonging to Hindu, Sikh shrines targeted in Pakistan - Oct 09, 2010
- 1200 Indian Sikh pilgrims to celebrate 541st Guru Nanak birth anniversary in Pak - Nov 19, 2010
- Pakistan to provide three-tier security cover to Sikh Jathas - Oct 13, 2009
- Hindus to celebrate Shivaratri in Pakistan - Feb 17, 2012
- Devotees visit Amritsar's Golden Temple on Baisakhi - Apr 14, 2011
- 715 Sikh pilgrims in Pak to commemorate 469th death anniversary of Guru Nanak - Sep 20, 2008
Tags: asif, bishon, deewan, delegation, delegations, disapproval, embarrassment, etpb, gilani, khana, march 19, religious significance, religious sites, sardar, sgpc, sikh community, sikh gurdwara, sikh leaders, sikhs in pakistan, trust property