Sikhs disrupt screening of Bollywood flick ”Singh is Kinng” in PunjabAugust 8th, 2008 - 8:53 pm ICT by ANI
Amritsar , August 8 (ANI): Bollywood’’s latest release ”Singh is Kinng” drew wrath from Sikh community when a mob of irate protesters disrupted the screening of the film on Friday in Amritsar in Punjab .
”Singh is Kinng” which released on Friday, ran into trouble when a group of protesters brandishing naked swords and sticks, gathered outside Annan theatre in the city and damaged the film posters and display windows at the theatre, causing disruption in the show.
Directed by Anees Bazmee, the film ”Singh is Kinng”, starring action hero Akshay Kumar and gorgeous Katrina Kaif had generated a lot of interest amongst the audiences before its release.
The protesters alleged the movie projected the Sikh community in a negative light.
We will not let ”Singh is Kinng” run in any of the theater in Punjab . They (film makers) have made fun of Sikhs in the movie. How can they show a Sikh, who is a follower of guru, dancing and romancing semi nude women in the film? It is not acceptable to us. They have portrayed a Sikh as a comedian and have ridiculed the Sikhs. We cannot tolerate it, said Kashmir Singh, a protester.
Police was called in to control the protesters and four people were also arrested for ransacking the theatre.
The protesters came very quietly, but as soon as they started protesting, we arrested them, said Ranbir Singh, Deputy Superintendent of Police.
While on one hand the movie faced flak from Sikh protesters, on the other hand, it got a tremendous response from its Sikh audience in Ludhiana , Punjab .
People jostled each other in their eagerness to enter the movie hall. People could be seen whistling and dancing inside the theatre while watching the movie.
According to the cine-goers the movie was caught in wrong controversy, as it was a wholesome entertainer.
It is wrong that the film ran into a controversy. It is a nice movie and very well made, said Lucky, a viewer.
The movie revolves around a Sikh, hailing from a small village in Punjab and how his life is transformed when he reaches Australia on a mission.
The film trails the journey of Happy Singh as he sets off to Australia hunting for his friend who is an underworld don and he even gets pulled in the trail and emerges as ”Singh” being the ”Kinng”.
Though the movie had got a green signal from the Delhi Sikh Gurdwara Management Committee (DSGMC) after it asked producer Vipul Shah to insert a disclaimer and an apology at the beginning of the film, there are many Sikh bodies who reportedly oppose the film for being ”anti Sikh”. (ANI)
- Sikh community portrayed as very regal, noble in movie 'No Problem': Kapoor - Dec 10, 2010
- Punjabi film festival on anvil - Sep 06, 2012
- No Prob - Mast Punjabi! - Nov 30, 2010
- Ajay Devgn agrees to cut objectionable dialogue from 'Son of Sardar' - Sep 04, 2012
- Return of the retro: Bollywood beats to remixed classics - Apr 14, 2011
- Watch 'Love Express', 'Cycle Kick' on one ticket: Ghai - Jun 06, 2011
- 1984 anti-Sikh riots affected take out protest march in Amritsar - Aug 07, 2010
- Asin misses 'Ready' premiere in Dubai, Salman draws crowds - Jun 02, 2011
- 'Singh is Kinng' show disrupted in Amritsar - Aug 08, 2008
- In age of Bollywood sequels, Haryanvi film to test waters - Apr 19, 2012
- 'Thank You' a funny take on extra-marital affairs (IANS Preview) - Apr 04, 2011
- Anees Bazmee shoots an all-sardar song Mast Punjabi In Lieu Of Singh Is Kinng - Jan 14, 2010
- Films and reality are two different things: Anees Bazmee (Interview) - Dec 09, 2010
- Director Abhishek Kapoor doesn't believe in weekend business - Jun 28, 2012
- Will 'Patiala House' mark bullish turn for Akshay? (Movie Preview) - Feb 07, 2011
Tags: action hero, akshay kumar, amritsar, anees, august 8, cine goers, comedian, deputy superintendent, display windows, disruption, eagerness, film makers, follower, kashmir, katrina kaif, protester, protesters, ranbir singh, semi nude women, sikhs