Sikhs begin leaving Pakistan’s Orakzai Agency, India concerned (Lead)May 1st, 2009 - 7:20 pm ICT by IANS
Islamabad/New Delhi, May 1 (IANS) Targeted by the Taliban, 35 Sikh families that have been living for decades in Pakistan’s Orakzai Agency have begun migrating from the area after being levied a jaziya or protection tax, an issue New Delhi has now taken up with Islamabad.
India said it had taken up with Pakistan the treatment of minorities in the country.
“The government of India has taken up the question of treatment of minorities in Pakistan with the government of Pakistan,” external affairs ministry spokesperson Vishnu Prakash said in New Delhi.
Quoting sources, Pakistani channel Geo TV said Taliban militants had taken over the shops and homes of the 35 Sikh families and arrested community leaders Klank Singh and Sewa Singh in the Ferozkhel area of Lower Orakzai Agency.
Following this, a local jirga ruled that the Sikh community should annually pay Rs.15 million ($187,000) as protection money. Earlier reports had said the Taliban had demanded Rs.50 million but that this had been reduced.
When the Sikh community expressed their inability to pay, the Taliban then auctioned their houses and other belongings, forcing them to migrate from the area.
There are reports the militants had demolished the houses 11 houses of the Sikh community after they failed to pay the jaziya tax.
The Orakzai Agency is situated in the virtually ungovernable Federally Administered Tribal Areas (FATA) along the Pakistan-Afghanistan border where the writ of the Taliban and Al Qaeda largely runs.
The militants in the area are led by Hakeemullah Mehsud, the deputy of Tehrik-e-Taliban chief Baitullah Mehsud, one of the principal suspects in the Dec 27, 2007 assassination of former Pakistani prime minister Benazir Bhutto in a gun and bomb attack in the garrison town of Rawalpindi.
- Pakistan rejects India's concern for Sikh minorities (Lead) - May 02, 2009
- Sikhs quitting Pakistan's Orakzai, India expresses concern (Second Lead) - May 01, 2009
- Pakistani military plans third front against Taliban - Jan 12, 2010
- Sikhs in Pakistan seek compensation for terror losses - Feb 07, 2011
- Sikhs in Pakistan pick up pieces of their shattered lives - Nov 01, 2010
- BJP expresses concern over targeting of Sikhs in Pakistan - May 03, 2009
- US Sikhs ask Obama to intervene on beheading - Feb 24, 2010
- India conveys its concern to Pak about Taliban targeting Sikhs in FATA - May 01, 2009
- Shutdown in Jammu to protest 'jaziya' by Taliban in Pakistan (Lead) - May 08, 2009
- Jammu shuts down against Taliban imposing jaziya in Pakistan - May 08, 2009
- India takes up Taliban targeting Sikhs with Pakistan - May 01, 2009
- American Sikhs approach US to ensure Pak-Sikhs' safety - Mar 03, 2010
- Sikh community concedes to Taliban demand in FATA , pay Rs 20 million as Jiziya - Apr 16, 2009
- Pak Taliban imposes Jiziya on Sikhs; takes their leader hostage - Apr 15, 2009
- Taliban demolishes Sikh properties in FATA for failure to pay 'protection fees' - Apr 30, 2009
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,