Shutter-down strike in Sindh against MQM leader’s killingMay 1st, 2011 - 5:20 pm ICT by ANI
Karachi, May 1(ANI): A complete shutter-down strike is being observed in Karachi, Hyderabad and other cities of Sindh against the killing of Muttahida Qaumi Movement (MQM) leader Liaquat Qureshi.
The MQMobserved a day of mourning on Sunday following the killing of Qureshi, a party leader and former member of the Sindh Assembly, who was shot dead when he was travelling in his car on Abul Hassan Ispahani Road in Karachi on April 29.All small and large shops, and markets remain closed, while public and private transports are also off the roads, Samaa TV reports.
Some 13 vehicles and passenger buses were torched in different parts of the city.
Two people were also wounded in Malir, when unknown persons opened fire on a transport bus, the Dawn reports.
MQM’s Rabita Committee condemned the burning of vehicles, and told party workers and activists to maintain peace and order in their areas.
The MQM committee also advised its workers to alert law enforcement agencies if they saw any miscreant torching vehicles and creating violence in the city.
Karachi is in the grip of target killings for last several months. (ANI)
- 10 killed in Karachi violence after leader's death (Lead) - Mar 27, 2012
- MQM's former lawmaker among five shot dead in Karachi during last 24 hours - Apr 30, 2011
- Traders go on strike against Karachi violence - Jun 13, 2012
- 4 killed, 14 hurt in Karachi suicide attack (Lead) - Apr 05, 2012
- Police detain 20 suspects as Karachi death toll rises to 27 - Jan 15, 2011
- 'Arms coming to Karachi from Afghanistan' - Mar 30, 2012
- MQM leader's burial in Karachi sparks shutdown, violence - Nov 06, 2010
- 30 killed in Karachi after MQM lawmaker's killing (Lead) - Aug 03, 2010
- Case registered in Pakistani activist's murder - Mar 28, 2012
- Karachi is calm after violence (Lead) - Mar 28, 2012
- 14 killed, over 50 hurt in Karachi after killing of MQM minister - Aug 03, 2010
- Australian diplomat meets Pakistani leaders - Jun 12, 2011
- Karachi violence death toll rises to thirty - Mar 14, 2011
- Toll in Karachi riots rises to 73 (Second Lead) - Aug 05, 2010
- Strike paralyses life in Karachi - Aug 23, 2011
Tags: abul, activists, april 29, city karachi, hassan, ispahani, killings, law enforcement agencies, malir, may 1, mqm, party leader, passenger buses, peace and order, rabita, shutter, sindh assembly, target, transport bus, transports