Shoaib likely to return after clearing dope testJuly 30th, 2008 - 7:09 pm ICT by IANS
Karachi, July 30 (IANS) Pakistan pacer Shoaib Akhtar overcame yet another hurdle on his way to a much-anticipated international return in this September’s Champions Trophy Wednesday when he cleared a dope test alongside two dozen compatriots. A senior Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) official said that all the 25 cricketers tested for banned substances cleared the dope tests.
The results of the dope tests which were carried out in a World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA)-accredited laboratory in Malaysia must have come as a big relief for Pakistan’s cricket community which was stunned earlier this month when Mohammad Asif failed a dope test conducted during the Indian Premier League (IPL).
“Thankfully, all the 25 players have cleared the dope tests,” said Shafqat Naghmi, PCB’s chief operating officer.
Four players in Pakistan’s 30-man preliminary squad for the Champions Trophy including senior batsman Younis Khan missed the dope tests.
Younis was in Saudi Arabia to perform Umrah at the time the tests were carried out in Lahore while three other players including all-rounder Yasir Arafat and middle-order batter Bazid Khan could not give the tests as they are currently playing professional cricket in England.
All the players will have to clear dope tests before the announcement of the 15-man Pakistan squad for the Champions Trophy on August 12, said Naghmi.
It is the first time that Shoaib has undertaken dope tests since the 2007 World Cup which he missed due to injury problems. The dope-tainted pacer has been a subject of much speculation since testing positive for banned anabolic steroid nandrolone during the 2006 ICC Champions Trophy in India along with Asif.
Shoaib, 32, is working hard to get back in shape in time for the Champions Trophy. He has not played international cricket since featuring in the fourth one-day against India in Gwalior last November.
- Asif asked to attend U-19 camp to prepare for Champions Trophy - Sep 12, 2009
- Pakistan cricketers line up for dope tests - Jul 20, 2008
- Four cricketers of current Pak squad undergo "dope tests" in England - Sep 16, 2010
- Pakistan likely to recall Asif for Champions Trophy - Jul 04, 2009
- Pakistan recall Asif for Champions Trophy - Aug 21, 2009
- Dope-tainted Asif's selection a talking point in Pak cricket - Aug 25, 2009
- Butt believes Asif will be back in Pakistan squad soon - Jan 23, 2009
- Asif recalled, Shoaib ignored in Champions Trophy squad - Jul 22, 2009
- Pakistan drop Riaz over spot-fixing links - Nov 21, 2011
- Banned Younis, Malik and ageing Akhtar in PCB's list of 35 probables for Asia Cup - May 26, 2010
- Younis ignored for Pak teams for England tour - Jun 21, 2010
- PCB to consider Akhtar, Asif for Champions trophy: Bari - Jul 10, 2009
- Pakistan recall Kamran Akmal, Razzaq for World T20 - Jul 12, 2012
- Pakistan pick new faces for Zimbabwe tour - Jul 28, 2011
- Akmal rejoicing return to Pakistan team - Jan 05, 2011