Sherry Rehman says it is MQMs sole decision to sit in OppositionApril 14th, 2008 - 4:11 pm ICT by admin
Islamabad, Apr 14 (ANI): In response to the MQMs decision to sit in the opposition, Pakistan Information Minister Sherry Rehman, one of the close lieutenants of the Bhutto family, has said that it was up to the MQM to decide whether to be a part of the government or remain aloof.
She said while her party recognized MQMs presence, it was up to the party to be a part of the government and take responsibility in the turbulent times the country was going through, or maintain a distance.
If some political forces believe the time is not right for them to take responsibility in running the country and helping to take it out of a difficult period, then we will not press anyone, but instead wait for opportunities where we can build bridges for Pakistan again. Anyone with their eye on the multiple crises afflicting Pakistan from both within and without will understand that consensus is the need of the hour, The News quoted Sherry as saying.
She added: The PPP has always believed in politics of tolerance and after the sacrifice of Mohtarma Benazir Bhutto Shaheed, the party co-chairman has adopted the path of constant engagement of political forces in the country.
The PPP will show exemplary maturity in its responses because it is the largest party in the country, it is also the government today, and because we have paid a heavy price for this fragile dawn of democracy, she added.
The MQM is a political reality of Sindh and it is up to them to decide whether to join the opposition or the coalition. We respect the MQM as well as other political powers,” Sherry said further.
About reservations of the MQM and its point of view that the PPP was responsible for the failure of the talks, she said it was their point of view and in democracy everyone had a right to express their opinion. (ANI)
- Aseefa to pick up slain mother's flag: Zardari - Dec 28, 2011
- 'Zia's remnants trying to malign Zardari, children by using Benazir banner': PPP - Nov 24, 2010
- 'Bilawal to take up political responsibility in September' - Apr 28, 2011
- Musharraf's running from country to country revenge of BB's assassination: Zardari - Jun 22, 2010
- Bilawal to take up 'some political responsibility' in September: Zardari - Apr 28, 2011
- 'Keen learner' Bilawal Bhutto not to jump headfirst into Pak politics - May 01, 2011
- 'Won't allow uniformed people, political actors to play joke with Pak again': Zardari - Oct 12, 2010
- Pakistan elections to be held in 2013: Gilani - Nov 25, 2011
- Major setback for Pakistan government as MQM parts ways - Dec 28, 2010
- Sindh Assembly wants Pak Govt to recommend Bhatti's name for Nobel Prize - Mar 15, 2011
- Pakistan's gateway bleeds over political opportunism - Nov 01, 2010
- Pakistan's ruling party, PML-Q try to corner Nawaz Sharif - Oct 27, 2010
- Benazir Bhutto's aide's clarion call to PPP government to arrest her assassins - Nov 11, 2010
- Zardari, Gilani not committed to unearthing Benazir's murderers: ex political secretary - Nov 29, 2010
- PPP has split into two groups: Qureshi - Apr 25, 2011
Tags: benazir bhutto, bhutto family, co chairman, consensus, crises, difficult period, fragile dawn, information minister, lieutenants, maturity, mqm, party co, point of view, political reality, ppp, shaheed, sherry rehman, sindh, sole decision, turbulent times