Shahabuddin gets bail in Pakistan drugs quota caseJune 22nd, 2012 - 5:52 pm ICT by IANS
Islamabad, June 22 (IANS) A court in Pakistan Friday granted interim bail to Makhdoom Shahabuddin, the primary candidate of the Pakistan Peoples Party (PPP) for the post of prime minister, in an illegal drugs quota case.
The Peshawar High Court granted interim bail to Shahabuddin after an anti-narcotics court Thursday issued a non-bailable arrest warrant against him for unauthorisedly approving a manufacturing licence for the drug ephedrine to two pharmaceuticals firms.
After Shahabuddin filed a petition in the Peshawar High Court, Chief Justice Dost Muhammad Khan granted him interim bail of seven days, Geo News reported.
Shahabuddin’s lawyer told Dawn News that Anti-Narcotics Force personnel wanted to arrest his client at the Punjab-Khyber Pakhtunkhwa border to stop him from contesting the election to the prime minister’s office.
Shahbuddin said the arrest warrant would not have been issued had he not been nominated by his party.
He said a case had been filed against him last year but the arrest warrant was issued only on Thursday, the same day his candidature was announced.
- Race for Pakistan PM: PPP drops Shahabuddin, names Ashraf (Evening Lead) - Jun 21, 2012
- Shahabuddin dropped, Raja Pervez Ashraf is PPP's new PM hopeful (Lead) - Jun 21, 2012
- Arrest warrants issued against Shahabuddin, Gilani's son - Jun 21, 2012
- Shahabuddin, Gilani's son face arrest (Lead) - Jun 21, 2012
- Raja Pervez Ashraf is PPP candidate for PM's post (Lead) - Jun 22, 2012
- Pakistan prime ministerial hopeful Makhdoom Shahabuddin - a brief profile - Jun 20, 2012
- Zardari fields Shahabuddin for Pakistan PM's post (Lead) - Jun 21, 2012
- Raja Pervez Ashraf elected Pakistan's 25th PM (Lead) - Jun 22, 2012
- Former Pakistani PM's son arrested - Sep 14, 2012
- CBI seeks fresh warrant to arrest Nupur Talwar - Apr 18, 2012
- Arrest warrant against Nirmal Baba stayed - May 23, 2012
- Trial against Sajjan Kumar in 1984 riots case to continue: Supreme Court - Sep 20, 2010
- 1984 riots: SC to give verdict on Sajjan Kumar 's appeal today - Sep 20, 2010
- Arrest warrant against Nupur Talwar extended (Lead) - Apr 18, 2012
- Gilani's son, named in drug scam, returns from South Africa - Apr 22, 2012
Tags: arrest warrant against, bailable, candidature, chief justice, dawn news, ephedrine, geo news, illegal drugs, lawyer, muhammad khan, narcotics, pakistan peoples party, peshawar high court, petition, pharmaceuticals, ppp, prime minister, punjab, quota, seven days