Seven die in attack on Pakistani army campJuly 9th, 2012 - 1:39 pm ICT by IANS
Islamabad, July 9 (IANS) Six soldiers and a policeman were killed when militants attacked an army camp in Pakistan’s eastern district of Gujrat early Monday morning, the army said.
The attack took place at about 5.30 a.m. Monday when five militants, one on a motorbike and others in a car, launched an attack on the army camp set up along the Chenab river that passes by Gujrat, a district lying about 120 km northwest of Lahore, capital of Punjab province.
The militants opened fire and hurled handgrenades at soldiers who were coming back to the camp after the morning prayer, Xinhua reported citing media reports.
The assailants fled after the attack.
One policeman posted near the camp was also killed in the attack.
The injured have been shifted to hospital in the neighbouring city of Gujranwala.
Two of the five injured soldiers were in a critical condition.
The army camp attacked was set up there temporarily to find an army officer who went missing in a helicopter crash over the Chenab river about 45 days ago, said media reports.
- One killed in attack on Pakistani police station - Jul 16, 2012
- Militants attack Pakistan air base - Aug 16, 2012
- Three killed in Quetta blast - Oct 27, 2010
- Four cops gunned down in Pakistan - Mar 13, 2012
- 4 injured in Karachi grenade attack - Nov 26, 2011
- Five troopers killed in Pakistan suicide bombing - Dec 24, 2011
- Three killed in suicide attack at Pakistan police station (Lead) - Feb 24, 2012
- Policeman injured in Kashmir grenade attack - Jul 31, 2012
- 24 Taliban militants killed in Pakistan - Dec 24, 2010
- Kashmir gunfight: Rains hamper army operations - Aug 16, 2010
- Army soldier, two terrorists killed in Rajouri gunbattle - Aug 16, 2010
- Cop killed in Kashmir gunfight - Sep 26, 2011
- 15 security personnel killed in militant attack on check post in northwest Pakistan - Apr 22, 2011
- Army man killed, six injured in Assam blast (Lead) - Jul 31, 2012
- Three cops, 3 rebels killed in Peshawar suicide attack (Second Lead) - Feb 24, 2012
Tags: army camp, army officer, assailants, capital of punjab province, chenab river, critical condition, early monday morning, gujranwala, helicopter crash, islamabad, morning prayer, motorbike, neighbouring city, northwest, pakistan, pakistani army, policeman, six soldiers, xinhua