Senior LTTE leader seriously injured (Lead)January 29th, 2009 - 9:57 pm ICT by IANS
Colombo, Jan 29 (IANS) A senior leader of Sri Lanka’s Tamil Tigers has been seriously injured in an attack by advancing government troops, a pro-rebel website said Thursday.K.V. Balakumaran, described as a “special member” of the LTTE, suffered injuries in an attack by the army at Udaiyarkattu in Mullaitivu Monday and is in a hospital, puthinam.com reported.
The military has not commented on the report.
Balakumaran was formerly the leader of the Eelam Revolutionary Organisation of Students (EROS) and joined the Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam (LTTE) in the early 1090s.
As the EROS leader, Balakumaran was based in Tamil Nadu in India for many years.
He met then Indian prime minister Rajiv Gandhi in July 1987, hours before the latter flew to Colombo to sign a pact that led to the deployment of thousands of Indian troops in Sri Lanka’s northeast.
A leftist, Balakumaran took to Tamil militancy in Jaffna in the early 1980s after he was arrested for allegedly aiding a Tamil militant group to rob a bank where he was the manager.
The soft-spoken Balakumaran is the most senior leader of the LTTE to be wounded after the killing in November 2007 of the then LTTE political wing leader S.P. Thamilselvan.
- Senior LTTE leader badly injured in Mullaitivu - Jan 29, 2009
- Slain LTTE leader Prabhakaran's mother passes away in Sri Lanka - Feb 20, 2011
- Withdraw army from Sri Lanka's northeast, says TULF (Lead) - Jun 17, 2011
- Sri Lanka refuses entry to Indian politicians - Feb 22, 2011
- Prabhakaran's mother dies in Sri Lanka - Feb 20, 2011
- LTTE tortured and killed while fighting Indians: Book - Jul 12, 2012
- Krishna visits IPKF martyrs memorial in Lanka - Jan 17, 2012
- A Sri Lankan Tamil who could have made a difference (Comment) - Nov 19, 2011
- Row over fishing causing a crisis: Sri Lanka minister - Mar 16, 2011
- A year later, few in Sri Lanka mourn Prabhakaran - May 17, 2010
- Two LTTE leaders surrender - Apr 22, 2009
- Velupillai Prabhakaran: His life, times and death - May 18, 2009
- Sri Lanka to free 1,200 former rebels - Sep 19, 2011
- India, Sri Lanka now understand Tamil ethnic issues: Lankan daily - Nov 27, 2010
- Sri Lanka, Singapore sign trade agreement - Feb 16, 2012
Tags: 1980s, eros, government troops, indian prime minister, indian troops, jaffna, jan 29, july 1987, liberation tigers of tamil eelam, liberation tigers of tamil eelam ltte, ltte leader, militancy, militant group, mullaitivu, pact, political wing leader, puthinam, rajiv gandhi, revolutionary organisation, tamil tigers