‘Self-rule can negate adverse effects of partition’July 7th, 2011 - 9:57 pm ICT by IANS
Jammu, July 7 (IANS) Self-rule championed by the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) aims to kill the negative effects of India’s partition, former Jammu and Kashmir chief minister Mufti Mohammad Sayeed said Thursday.
The partition of India, which left Jammu and Kashmir divided between India and Pakistan, has left festering wounds on both sides of the border, the PDP leader said.
Addressing a public meeting at Rajouri, 160 km north of Jammu, Mufti Sayeed said that “partition has plugged all traditional routes which were earlier connecting Jammu and Kashmir with the rest of the world”.
The PDP’s self-rule document envisages devolution of power to the sub regions in both parts of Kashmir held by India and Pakistan.
The party is for reconnecting all parts of the state, as was the case before the 1947 partition of the Indian sub-continent.
“Opening of all traditional routes through Kashmir, Jammu and Ladakh would help the state in harnessing its inherent potential as a business centre as it was before 1947,” he said.
He termed the opening of crossing points on the Line of Control dividing Jammu and Kashmir between India and Pakistan as the biggest confidence building measure taken during the PDP-Congress regime in the state.
- PDP presses for Kashmir resolution - Feb 19, 2011
- Fast-track LOC trade, travel: Mufti Sayeed - Apr 06, 2012
- Democracy in Pakistan can help resolve Kashmir issue: Mufti - Apr 03, 2010
- Committed to equal growth in all Kashmir regions: PDP - Nov 30, 2011
- Mufti calls for regime change in Jammu and Kashmir - Aug 12, 2012
- Mehbooba seeks positive approach on Kashmir problem - Aug 29, 2012
- PDP to hold first major public meet in Jammu - Mar 11, 2011
- PDP takes out 'resolution' rally - Feb 14, 2011
- Mufti Sayeed accuses National Conference of 'double standards' - Sep 24, 2011
- PDP is party of Jammu too: Mufti - May 27, 2012
- PDP government delivered better with only 16 legislators: Mehbooba - Dec 13, 2011
- Mufti lashes out at Omar government on development - Jul 03, 2011
- Include people in Kashmir issue's resolution: PDP - Jul 09, 2011
- Kashmiris feeling alienated under Omar: Mufti - Jan 09, 2012
- Evolve national consensus to solve Kashmir problem: Mufti - Jul 17, 2012
Tags: adverse effects, business centre, chief minister, confidence building, congress, democratic party, india and pakistan, indian sub continent, jammu and kashmir, kashmir, mohammad, partition of india, pdp, regime, rest of the world, rule document, sayeed, self rule, wounds