Self-defence training for Agra girlsAugust 2nd, 2008 - 4:07 pm ICT by ANI
By Brajesh Kr. Singh
Agra, August 2 (ANI): To develop self-confidence among girls against incidents like eve- teasing or chain-snatching by hoodlums, the Uttar Police have decided to impart short term self-defence training in martial arts in schools and colleges here.
Students of Queen Victoria College attended the first of such training camps here on Tuesday (July 29) when they were taught basic martial art skills by special trainers.
“A self- defence course and a street play on drug abuse was organised in Queen Mary College today for all the girl students and also other children. Students were told about their rights, their role in women’’s upliftment and the ways to physically defend themselves. Everyone participated enthusiastically. Besides, various misunderstandings about police’’s image was also cleared up,” said Raghuvir Lal, the Senior Superintendent of Police in Agra
Students, on their part, were enthusiastic to learn the self-defence programme initiated by the Agra police.
Apart from college students, even school-going girls wanted to learn self-defence techniques.
“Here we learnt how to defend ourselves from any goon or eve-teasers around us,” said Rashi Chandra, a student.
Students said that they felt thrilled after attending the training programme.
The district administration believes that if such programmes are conducted routinely, they could create a sense of self-confidence among girls to defend themselves in any untoward situation. (ANI)
- Kashmiri girls take to martial arts for self-defence (Feature) - May 27, 2009
- Women, teenage girls undergo martial arts training in Noida - Nov 28, 2010
- In self-defence: Delhi women get trained to fight harassment - Jun 15, 2009
- Bhopal College trains girl student for self-defence - Aug 22, 2009
- Dress code in colleges to stop eve-teasing draws flak - Jun 11, 2009
- Chandigarh college girls learn karate for self-defence - Feb 05, 2009
- Speaking out in anger: empower students, don't ban jeans (Second Lead) - Jun 11, 2009
- Speaking out in anger: empower students, don't ban jeans (Lead) - Jun 11, 2009
- Free karate training to 16 lakh girl students - Mar 23, 2010
- From humble cycle, he gives lessons in Queen's English - Mar 04, 2011
- Ramdev talked of training youth in self-defence: Aide - Jun 08, 2011
- Girls in Abohar take a liking to martial arts - Jun 28, 2009
- Special marital art training for police and paramilitary personnel in Chennai - Dec 02, 2009
- Agra girls defy stereotype, drive tractors - Jan 16, 2011
- Rape, molestation cases in Delhi up in 2010 (Lead) - Jan 06, 2011
Tags: chandra, district administration, eve teasing, girl students, goon, hoodlums, lal, martial art skills, misunderstandings, queen mary college, queen victoria, rashi, self confidence, self defence course, self defence techniques, self defence training, student students, training programme, upliftment, victoria college