Scrap training of Sri Lankan army, demand DMK MPsSeptember 4th, 2012 - 6:01 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Sep 4 (IANS) A group of MPs of the DMK, a key UPA constituent, Tuesday met Defence Minister A.K. Antony and demanded a halt to the training programme for Sri Lankan army personnel here, terming it the programme an act that would affect the “sentiments of Tamils”.
“We have submitted a memorandum to Defence Minister Antony; we have asked the Centre to immediately stop the training programme for Sri Lankan army personnel. These kind of acts will affect the sentiments of Tamils, who are already agitated,” a DMK MP, who was part of the group, told IANS.
“Such acts will create doubts in the minds of people of Tamil Nadu about the government’s intentions.”
The delegation was led by T.R. Baalu.
“We have given the memorandum… the minister said he will consider it,” the MP said, adding: “There is no change in the stand of the centre to the training programme, which has hurt the sentiments of Tamils across the globe.”
Meanwhile, Tamil Nadu Chief Minister J. Jayalalithaa and DMK chief M. Karunanidhi have been repeatedly writing letters to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh urging that the training programme be stopped immediately.
- Do not train Sri Lankans: Jayalalithaa, Karunanidhi (Lead) - Jul 16, 2012
- Send back Sri Lankan Air Force trainees: Jayalalithaa - Jul 13, 2012
- Disconnect over Sri Lankan airmen being sent back (Lead) - Jul 06, 2012
- Sri Lankan airmen shifted to Bangalore? Send them home, Jayalalitha demands (Fourth Lead, superseding previous story) - Jul 07, 2012
- India to send back Sri Lanka Air Force personnel - Jul 06, 2012
- 175 Sri Lankan tourists to return following protests (Lead) - Sep 04, 2012
- DMK to submit Tamil meet resolutions to UN: Karunanidhi - Sep 04, 2012
- Send back Lankan defence personnel: Jayalalithaa - Aug 25, 2012
- Disconnect over Sri Lankan airmen's status; Jayalaithaa demands they be sent home (Third Lead) - Jul 07, 2012
- Send back Sri Lankan defence personnel: Jayalalithaa - Jul 16, 2012
Tags: antony, army personnel, chief minister, constituent, defence minister, j jayalalithaa, m karunanidhi, manmohan, manmohan singh, memorandum, mps, New Delhi, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, sentiments, sri lankan army, tamils, training programme, UPA, writing letters