School bombing by Taliban causes concern in PakistanJuly 25th, 2012 - 12:37 pm ICT by IANS
Islamabad, July 25 (IANS) The bombing of schools by the Taliban shows that militancy is not under control, said a Pakistani daily which pointed out that a staggering 100 schools have been destroyed in Mohmand Agency so far.
An editorial in the News International said that despite the so-called victories against the Taliban, their activities remain much the same as before.
“Schools continue to be bombed, depriving children across the tribal belt and Khyber Pakhtunkhwa of education that could protect them from falling prey to poverty and eventually extremism,” it said.
Last week there were three bombings in which schools were destroyed or damaged. .
The daily said that in some ways, “still more frightening is the fact that militants are able to strike even in the heart of large cities like Peshawar”.
“It is quite obvious some lasting solution to this serious problem needs to be found quickly, given that we have too few schools and cannot afford to keep reconstructing those that have been deliberately damaged by those who see education as an enemy,” it said.
“In all 100 schools have been destroyed in Mohmand by militants so far. We can only imagine the damage this is inflicting in an area where literacy is already low. It is clear that militancy is not under control and that something needs to be done and fast,” the editorial added.
- Militants blow up two schools in Pakistan - Nov 13, 2011
- Militants blow up school in Pakistan - Jan 21, 2012
- New approach needed to deal with terrorist outrages: Pakistani paper - Jun 13, 2011
- Pakistan clashes kill 11 soldiers, 24 militants (Second Lead) - Dec 24, 2010
- Militants destroy yet another girls' school in Pakistan - Nov 02, 2010
- Mischievous elements from Afghanistan tasked to create anarchy in Pak: KP Governor - Dec 25, 2010
- Two govt schools blown up in Pakistan's Khyber Pakhtunkhwa province - Mar 26, 2011
- `Kids rescued from Pakistan seminary scarred for life' - Dec 14, 2011
- Militants bomb girls school in Pakistan - Oct 12, 2010
- Four police officers killed as militants target police vehicle, security checkpoint in Pak - Jan 13, 2011
- `It's terrifying bomber was 14-year-old in school uniform' - Feb 11, 2011
- 50 kids found chained in Pakistan seminary dungeon - Dec 13, 2011
- Taliban set ablaze Afghan school - Mar 10, 2012
- Car bombing kills 45 in Pakistan (Second lead) - Jul 09, 2010
- 'Terror attacks across Pak's tribal region proves Taliban still operating systematically' - Aug 26, 2010