Saudi King gifts two bulletproof cars to Nawaz SharifNovember 25th, 2007 - 1:05 pm ICT by admin
Islamabad, Nov 25 (ANI): Saudi King Abdullah bin Abdul Aziz has gifted two bulletproof Mercedes cars and also lent former premier Nawaz Sharif a helicopter for use during the elections from his personal fleet, before his departure for Pakistan.
The vehicle would remain in use of Nawaz Sharif during the election campaign, The Nation reported.
King Abdullah during his farewell meeting with Sharif said: “As he (Nawaz Sharif) was dear to him, so he (king) was concerned about his security and well-being,” sources said.
Sources further disclosed that Nawaz Sharif had accepted the offer and later the car was airlifted here in Lahore, his hometown, on Friday where it was handed over to his nephew Hamza Shahbaz Sharif.
It is pertinent to mention that following suicide attack on the PPP rally in Karachi on October 18 in which more than 140 people were killed, the US Embassy had provided Benazir Bhutto with a bulletproof car equipped with latest explosive- device jamming system.
The car would remain in her use throughout the election campaign. (ANI)
- Sharif underwent series of heart procedures in London hospital - Mar 20, 2011
- Pak Punjab Chief Minister, Governor at loggerheads over bullet-proof Mercedes - May 14, 2010
- It's monarchy in Pakistan, not democracy, says Imran - Dec 17, 2011
- Breakthrough eludes Gilani in Pakistan's political crisis (Lead) - Jan 03, 2011
- Nawaz Sharif will not contest Punjab elections - Oct 05, 2009
- Saudi king asks Sharif to avoid controversial issues - Sep 14, 2009
- Don't trust Zardari: Punjab chief minister - Jan 08, 2012
- Musharraf ordered 35 bulletproof Mercedes from Japan to safeguard his ministers, bureaucrats - Nov 21, 2009
- No pressure from Saudi Arabia on Musharraf trial: Ishaq Dar - Sep 14, 2009
- Nawaz Sharif expected to be re-elected as PML-N president - Jan 06, 2010
- Saudi pressure may see Musharraf to go scot-free, Sharif not contest elections till 2010 - Oct 05, 2009
- Musharraf claims he forgave Sharif brothers, who had 'begged' him to let them go - Oct 07, 2010
- Nawaz drops by-poll plan to please Saudis: Report - Feb 01, 2010
- PML-N refutes Zardari's claim of Shahbaz tipping off JUD prior to asset freeze order - Dec 02, 2010
- Saudi women petition king for right to drive - Jun 15, 2012
Tags: abdullah bin abdul aziz, benazir bhutto, bulletproof car, bulletproof cars, election campaign, explosive device, hamza, jamming system, mercedes cars, nawaz sharif, personal fleet, saudi king abdullah, shahbaz, suicide attack