Saudi Arabia’s ‘love’ for Nawaz Sharif lost?September 12th, 2009 - 4:11 pm ICT by ANI
Islamabad, Sep.12 (ANI): Former Pakistan Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif did not receive the same ‘red carpet’ welcome and the protocol that he used to enjoy earlier, during his recent Saudi Arabia visit.
According to sources, Sharif’s refusal to tone down his demand for former President General Pervez Musharraf’s high treason trial is believed to the prime reason behind Riyadh’s luke warm response.
Insiders said Sharif did not receive the same protocol when he arrived at Riyadh for a religious visit earlier this week, however, the Pakistan Muslim League-Nawaz (PML-N) has rejected any reduction in Saudi’s love for Sharif.
“Whenever any Pakistani leader visits Saudi Arabia specifically for worship, routine protocol is not given. PML-N chief Nawaz Sharif regularly visits Saudi Arabia in the last ten days of the holy month of Ramadan and in the past on every such occasion, he was given the same protocol as he was given during the current visit,” PML-N spokesman Pervaiz Rasheed said.
Sources said Sharif is under tremendous pressure from Saudi Arabia to shun his demand for Musharraf’s trial under the Article Six of the Constitution. (ANI)
- Musharraf's 'royal' treatment in Saudi Arabia worries his opponents in Pak - Sep 02, 2009
- Pakistan's ruling party, PML-Q try to corner Nawaz Sharif - Oct 27, 2010
- Musharraf terms his meeting with Saudi King a success - Sep 07, 2009
- Saudi Arabia respects Pak constitution, would not meddle in internal issues: PML-N - Sep 15, 2009
- Sharif likely to visit Saudi Arabia next week - Sep 06, 2009
- Musharraf says Sharif will not seek his trial - Sep 14, 2009
- "Optimistic" Musharraf leaves for London in 'high spirits' after Saudi visit - Sep 03, 2009
- Saudi King warns Pak to call off Musharraf 'witch hunt' - Sep 02, 2009
- Sharif refused to quit politics in spite of 'death threats from dictator': Pervaiz Rasheed - Nov 21, 2010
- Sharif in Saudi Arabia to perform Umra - Sep 10, 2009
- PML-N has given grace period to PPP to implement 10-point agenda: Sanaullah - Jan 11, 2011
- Saudi king asks Sharif to avoid controversial issues - Sep 14, 2009
- Bin Laden funded Nawaz for taking part in elections: Musharraf - Nov 19, 2010
- PML-N will not indulge in 'undemocratic' method to overthrow govt. : Sharif - Sep 03, 2009
- Musharraf to use secret 'smoking gun' on Nawaz, Benazir if cornered - Sep 11, 2009
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,