Sarabjit’s family gets visa to travel to PakistanApril 16th, 2008 - 8:28 pm ICT by admin
New Delhi, April 16 (IANS) The family of Sarabjit Singh, an Indian prisoner on death row in Pakistan, will finally get to see him after nearly 18 years with the Pakistan high commission handing over visas to five family members to travel to Lahore. The visas, handed over Friday, are for travel to Lahore and visit Kot Lakhpat jail, where he has been kept.
Sarabjit’s sister, Dalbir Kaur, said the visas were for herself, her husband, Sarabjit’s wife and two daughters. She had applied for them in the last week of March.
“I was sitting in Sisganj Gurudwara in the manager’s office when I got a phone call from the Pakistan high commission to come and collect the passports. I asked, ‘Have I got a visa?’ He said yes. I started to tremble,” Dalbir Kaur told IANS.
The visas can be availed of within one month and are valid for a stay of seven days, with permission to travel only to Lahore and Nankana Sahib, she said.
Dalbir Kaur said the family would leave for Pakistan Sunday by road. “I am so happy that I can’t tell you. I have hope that he will be pardoned now,” she said.
Sarabjit, who is known as Manjit Singh in Pakistan, has been held guilty of bombings in Lahore and Multan in 1990 that left 14 people dead. He is to be executed April 30. He was to be hanged March 31 but the intervention of the Indian government led to the execution being postponed by a month.
Dalbir Kaur claims he is innocent and had crossed into Pakistan inadvertently in an inebriated state Aug 28, 1990.
- Have come with hopes of brother's release: Sarbjeet's sister - Jun 07, 2011
- Sarabjit to meet sister -- after 21 years - Jun 16, 2011
- Conditions favourable in Pakistan for Sarabjit's release: Sister - Jul 05, 2011
- Sarabjit's family elated in Punjab - Jun 26, 2012
- Sarabjit and Surjeet: Shock in one home, joy in another (Second Lead) - Jun 27, 2012
- Reopen case, allow me to prove my innocence: Sarabjit - Jun 17, 2011
- Sarabjit's family shattered by Pakistan's 'cruel joke' (Lead) - Jun 27, 2012
- Sarabjit's family on indefinite fast; meets Krishna (Second Lead) - Jun 28, 2012
- Krishna raises Sarabjit issue with Zardari - Sep 08, 2012
- Jubilation to despair for Sarabjit's family - Jun 27, 2012
- Fresh evidence says Sarabjit is innocent: Pakistani lawyer - Dec 06, 2010
- Surjeet Singh, not Sarabjit Singh, to be released: Pakistan - Jun 27, 2012
- Pakistan does volte-face, says Surjeet Singh, not Sarabjit, to be released (Lead) - Jun 27, 2012
- Sarabjit's kin in Ajmer, seek his release - Apr 08, 2012
- India presses for Sarabjit's release, awaits confirmation (Lead) - Jun 27, 2012
Tags: 18 years, bombings, death row, execution, family members, gurudwara, indian government, inebriated, kaur, manjit singh, multan, New Delhi, pakistan high commission, passports, phone call, sarabjit singh, seven days, two daughters, visa, visas