Sarabjit’s family celebrates hanging postponementMay 3rd, 2008 - 3:32 pm ICT by admin
Bhikhiwind (Punjab), May 3 (IANS) This Punjab town Saturday woke up to drum beats as the family and friends of Sarabjit Singh celebrated the news that Pakistan had indefinitely put off the Indian prisoner’s hanging. A large number of people shared their joy with Sarabjit Singh’s family at their modest single-storey house here, 50 km from Amritsar. Sarabjit Singh is on a death row in Pakistan on charges of exploding bombs.
Sarabjit Singh’s elder sister Dalbir Kaur, who has been leading the campaign to save him, distributed sweets to he visitors. Some neighbours and family friends did `bhangra’ to the beat of drums.
“I hope that he is released soon. This is such great news for us. I want to thank the Pakistan government for this,” Dalbir Kaur told reporters here.
Sarabjit’s wife Sukhpreet and daughters, Swapandeep and Poonam, were equally elated.
The Pakistan decision “gives us a lot of hope. We wish that he is released early”, Poonam said.
The family had returned from Lahore this week after meeting Sarabjit Singh for the first time in 18 years at Lahore’s Kot Lakhpat jail.
While the family says that Sarabjit Singh is innocent and crossed into Pakistan inadvertently in an inebriated state in August 1990, the Pakistani authorities have accused him of terrorist activities.
He was found guilty by Pakistani courts of exploding two bombs in Lahore and Multan cities in 1990 in which 14 people were killed.
Sarabjit Singh is known as Manjit Singh in Pakistan.
He was to be hanged March 31 but it was put off following the intervention of the Indian government. The hanging was again postponed for another three weeks Thursday. It has now been postponed indefinitely.
- Sarabjit and Surjeet: Shock in one home, joy in another (Second Lead) - Jun 27, 2012
- Sarabjit's family shattered by Pakistan's 'cruel joke' (Lead) - Jun 27, 2012
- Sarabjit's family elated in Punjab - Jun 26, 2012
- Krishna raises Sarabjit issue with Zardari - Sep 08, 2012
- Jubilation to despair for Sarabjit's family - Jun 27, 2012
- Sarabjit's family on indefinite fast; meets Krishna (Second Lead) - Jun 28, 2012
- Sarabjit to meet sister -- after 21 years - Jun 16, 2011
- Conditions favourable in Pakistan for Sarabjit's release: Sister - Jul 05, 2011
- Sarabjit's kin in Ajmer, seek his release - Apr 08, 2012
- Have come with hopes of brother's release: Sarbjeet's sister - Jun 07, 2011
- Reopen case, allow me to prove my innocence: Sarabjit - Jun 17, 2011
- Sarabjit's family meets Krishna - Jun 28, 2012
- Is arrested conman behind Pakistan blasts blamed on Sarabjit? - Dec 17, 2010
- Sarabjit's family to protest at Jantar Mantar - Jun 28, 2012
- The 'real' Sarabjit has been arrested, claims family - Dec 16, 2010
Tags: amritsar, beats, bombs, death row, elder sister, family and friends, family friends, great news, indian government, kaur, manjit singh, multan, neighbours, pakistan government, pakistani authorities, poonam, postponement, punjab, sweets, terrorist activities