Sarabjit shifted from death row to normal cell in PakistanOctober 28th, 2008 - 9:33 pm ICT by ANI
Islamabad, Oct 28 (ANI): Sarabjit Singh, who was awarded capital punishment in Pakistan, has been shifted from death row to a normal cell in a Lahore jail.
The move may be an indication that Sarabjit, convicted for triggering blasts allegedly killing 14 people in Pakistan in 1990, would not be hanged according to Pakistani TV channel Geo News.
So far there has been no official word in this regard.
Sarabjit has been on death row since he was convicted for alleged involvement in four bomb attacks in Punjab province in 1990.
This year, Sarabjit’’s family had visited Pakistan seeking his release and insisted that he was wrongly convicted for the attacks.
Former President Pervez Musharraf deferred his execution, initially set for April 1, for 30 days. This was done to enable the new Pakistan Peoples Party (PPP)-led government to review his case following India’’s appeal for clemency.
Following Pakistani Prime Minister Yousuf Raza Gilanis intervention in the matter, the Pakistani authorities put off Sarabjit’’s execution “till further orders”.
Earlier, the Pakistan Supreme Court and former President Pervez Musharraf had turned down Sarabjit’’s mercy petitions. (ANI)
- Pakistan to release Sarabjit Singh soon, says lawyer - Sep 07, 2012
- Pakistan court seeks reply on likely pardon for Sarabjit - Jun 15, 2011
- 100,000 Indians have signed a petition to free Sarabjit, claims his lawyer - Aug 27, 2009
- Gilani convicted for contempt, opposition wants him out (Third Lead) - Apr 26, 2012
- India presses for Sarabjit's release, awaits confirmation (Lead) - Jun 27, 2012
- Gilani stands disqualified as PM, rules Supreme Court (Second Lead) - Jun 19, 2012
- India renews request for Sarabjit's release, awaits clear picture (Second Lead) - Jun 27, 2012
- Will face jail but not write to Swiss authorities: Gilani - Mar 15, 2012
- Contempt of court: Gilani set to appear before apex court - Jan 19, 2012
- Breakthrough eludes Gilani in Pakistan's political crisis (Lead) - Jan 03, 2011
- Krishna assures Sarabjit's family he will take up issue - Aug 17, 2012
- Surjeet Singh, not Sarabjit Singh, to be released: Pakistan - Jun 27, 2012
- Krishna raises Sarabjit issue with Zardari - Sep 08, 2012
- Sarabjit's family shattered by Pakistan's 'cruel joke' (Lead) - Jun 27, 2012
- Sarabjit's ex lawyer asks Zardari to pardon him - Jun 27, 2009
Tags: april 1, blasts, bomb attacks, capital punishment, clemency, death row, execution, former president, geo news, mercy petitions, pakistan islamabad, pakistan peoples party, pakistan supreme court, pakistani authorities, pakistani prime minister, pervez musharraf, ppp, regard, sarabjit singh, tv channel