Sarabjit hanging put off by three weeks: Pak TVApril 28th, 2008 - 10:44 pm ICT by admin
Islamabad, April 28 (IANS) The execution of Indian national on death row, Sarabjit Singh, has been postponed by three weeks - just two days before his sentence was to be carried out, according to a Pakistani private news channel. Dawn News TV channel said there has been a “procedural postponement” of Sarabjit’s hanging, which was to take place May 1.
However, Indian high commission officials here could not confirm the news. “We are trying to get this established by authorities,” said an Indian diplomat.
Dawn News said that a local court has to fix a fresh date for execution, which cannot be fixed before 21 days.
Sarabjit was arrested and sentenced to death for five bomb blasts inthe cities of Lahore and Multan in Pakistan in 1990.
Later, a two-member bench of the Supreme Court dismissed mercy appeals filed by the convict Manjit Singh (as Sarabjit is known in Pakistan), and upheld the death sentence. Pakistan President Pervez Musharraf also dismissed the mercy petition filed by Sarabjit.
He was supposed to have been executed April 1, but his walk to the gallows was postponed for a period of 30 days.
Sarabjit’s family, who are now in Pakistan, met him for the first time in 18 years at Kot Lakhpat Jail last week.
Indian External Affairs Minister Pranab Mukherjee is schduled to travel to Islamabad and meet his counterpart Makhdoom Shah Mahmood Qureshi May 21 for the first time since the new elected regime took office.
- Pakistan to release Sarabjit Singh soon, says lawyer - Sep 07, 2012
- India presses for Sarabjit's release, awaits confirmation (Lead) - Jun 27, 2012
- Krishna raises Sarabjit issue with Zardari - Sep 08, 2012
- Surjeet Singh, not Sarabjit Singh, to be released: Pakistan - Jun 27, 2012
- Pakistan does volte-face, says Surjeet Singh, not Sarabjit, to be released (Lead) - Jun 27, 2012
- Zardari commutes Indian prisoner Sarabjit's death sentence - Jun 26, 2012
- Sarabjit and Surjeet: Shock in one home, joy in another (Second Lead) - Jun 27, 2012
- Have come with hopes of brother's release: Sarbjeet's sister - Jun 07, 2011
- Reopen case, allow me to prove my innocence: Sarabjit - Jun 17, 2011
- India renews request for Sarabjit's release, awaits clear picture (Second Lead) - Jun 27, 2012
- Sarabjit's family shattered by Pakistan's 'cruel joke' (Lead) - Jun 27, 2012
- Jubilation to despair for Sarabjit's family - Jun 27, 2012
- Sarabjit's family elated in Punjab - Jun 26, 2012
- India calls for Sarabjit's release, upset at Pakistan's U-turn (Roundup) - Jun 27, 2012
- Sarabjit to meet sister -- after 21 years - Jun 16, 2011
Tags: bomb blasts, commission officials, dawn news, external affairs minister, external affairs minister pranab mukherjee, gallows, indian diplomat, indian high commission, local court, mahmood qureshi, mercy petition, multan, news tv, pak tv, pakistan president pervez musharraf, pervez musharraf, pranab mukherjee, president pervez musharraf, private news, shah mahmood