Ruling UPFA wins Lanka provincial pollsFebruary 15th, 2009 - 3:24 pm ICT by ANI
Colombo, Feb.15 (ANI): The ruling United People’’s Freedom Alliance (UPFA) in Sri Lanka has won the provincial elections held on Saturday.
According to results announced on Sunday, of the 40 polling divisions in the five districts in the Central and North Western provinces of the island-nation, the UPFA won 39.
The main opposition United National Party (UNP) won only in Kandy in Central Province.
Election officials said the early results showed that about 65 per cent of the 3.4 million voters in the two provinces had exercised their franchise.
In all, 1,370 candidates entered the fray for 56 seats in the Central Provincial Council, while 1,209 candidates contested 50 seats in the North Western Provincial Council. (ANI)
- Sri Lanka's ruling party wins provincial polls - Feb 15, 2009
- Sri Lanka's ruling party wins local council polls - Sep 09, 2012
- Sri Lankan Tamil party seeks support to form eastern province government - Sep 09, 2012
- Sri Lanka's ruling party wins local council elections - Jul 24, 2011
- Sri Lanka's ruling coalition wins in provincial polls (Lead) - Feb 15, 2009
- Sri Lanka's ruling alliance wins local elections - Aug 09, 2009
- Sri Lanka's ruling party wins big in parliamentary polls - Apr 21, 2010
- Sri Lanka's ruling party wins parliamentary elections (Lead) - Apr 21, 2010
- Sri Lanka's ruling coalition sweeps provincial poll (Lead) - Apr 26, 2009
- Ruling party wins parliamentary elections in Sri Lanka (Roundup) - Apr 09, 2010
- Fonseka says he is victim of 'unlawful detention' (Second Lead) - Apr 22, 2010
- President Rajapaksa's brother elected new speaker of parliament - Apr 22, 2010
- Sri Lanka's ex-army chief says his detention 'unlawful' (Lead) - Apr 22, 2010
- Ruling party expected to win provincial polls in Sri Lanka - Feb 14, 2009
- Ruling party expected to win polls in Sri Lanka (Lead) - Feb 14, 2009
Tags: central province, election officials, franchise, freedom alliance, island nation, kandy, opposition, provincial council, provincial elections, provincial polls, sri lanka, united national party, unp, upfa, western provinces