Roadside bombing kills three soldiers in PakistanJanuary 30th, 2009 - 11:04 pm ICT by IANS
Islamabad, Jan 30 (DPA) A roadside bomb targeted a security convoy in northwestern Pakistan Friday, leaving three soldiers dead and more than a half-dozen injured, an official said.The remote-controlled bomb was planted near a school building in the Jalala area of the Malakand district in the North West Frontier Province.
“Three soldiers died while seven more were wounded,” said an intelligence official who spoke on the condition of anonymity. “One vehicle was destroyed in the blast.”
A military spokesman confirmed the incident but refused to give details.
Major Nasir Ali said only that the blast was the result of a roadside bomb and the military was assessing the damage.
The site of the blast was located 25 km southwest of Mingora, the main town in the Swat district, where government forces are battling hundreds of armed Islamist militants trying to enforce Taliban-style rule in the area.
The militants, who are led by radical cleric Maulana Fazlullah, have carried out dozens of suicide and bomb attacks on security personnel as well as political leaders since 2007, killing scores of people.
They have also imposed a ban on education for girls, blown up shops selling music CDs, prohibited barbers from shaving beards and set up a parallel judicial system in the region.
- Barbers shut down shops in Peshawar suburb after Taliban death threats - Sep 05, 2010
- Lower Dir killings confirms presence of US troops in Pak - Feb 04, 2010
- Pakistan says Taliban leader in Swat surrounded (Lead) - Sep 14, 2009
- Roadside bomb kills two Pakistani soldiers - Sep 13, 2009
- Maulana Fazlullah's aide arrested in Pakistan - Oct 26, 2009
- 10 killed in Pak roadside bomb blast - Sep 09, 2010
- Damage assessment begins in Pakistan's terror-hit Swat - Nov 06, 2009
- Blast kills six in Pakistan (Lead, changing dateline) - Feb 03, 2010
- Five construction workers killed in Afghanistan - Sep 21, 2010
- Three Pakistani soldiers killed in bomb attack - Oct 20, 2010
- Pakistani forces kill 21 Taliban - Jun 02, 2009
- Injured Pakistani Taliban leader surrounded: Minister - Nov 05, 2009
- Roadside bomb kills Pakistani soldier - Dec 31, 2011
- Seven hurt in Pakistan blast - May 24, 2012
- Twin suicide bombings kill 48 in Lahore (Second Lead) - Mar 12, 2010
Tags: beards, bomb attacks, frontier province, government forces, intelligence official, islamist, malakand district, military spokesman, nasir ali, north west frontier, northwestern pakistan, pakistan islamabad, radical cleric, roadside bomb, roadside bombing, security personnel, selling music, style rule, swat district, three soldiers