Resume NATO supplies, Karzai tells PakistanFebruary 17th, 2012 - 12:40 pm ICT by IANS
Islamabad, Feb 17 (IANS) Afghanistan President Hamid Karzai Friday asked Pakistan to resume NATO supplies that were suspended after airstrikes last year left two dozen soldiers dead, a media report said.
Karzai urged Pakistan to resume NATO supplies and suggested that it charge higher levy as it will benefit both Pakistan and Afghanistan, Geo News reported from his breakfast meeting with senior journalists here.
Karzai is in Islamabad for a one-day trilateral summit between Pakistan, Iran and Afghanistan.
The airstrikes Nov 26 last year on two Pakistani Army checkposts in Mohmand Agency in the northwest region killed two dozen soldiers, sparking outrage in Pakistan.
Islamabad promptly barred the passage of NATO supplies through the country and decided to boycott an international conference focussed on the future course of action in Afghanistan. It also told the US to vacate the key Shamsi airbase in Balochistan that was used to launch drone strikes.
To a query on the US-Taliban talks, the Afghan leader said that they were aware of US-Taliban contacts but would decide where to hold Afghan-Taliban talks.
The Taliban can open office in Qatar but Kabul will hold talks in Turkey or Saudi Arabia with them, he said.
On Indian influence in Afghanistan, Karzai said Pakistan does not have to worry as Pakistan and India are already engaged in trade agreements.
Indian Commerce Minister Anand Sharma, who is accompanied by business leaders of more than 100 Indian companies, has wrapped up a four-day trip to Pakistan that began Monday.
- Pakistan won't help US attack Iran: Zardari - Feb 17, 2012
- US can contact me whenever they want: Hafiz Saeed - Apr 04, 2012
- Pakistan has permanently stopped NATO supply: Minister - Nov 28, 2011
- Pakistan to US: vacate Shamsi airbase by Dec 11 - Dec 01, 2011
- $10 mn bounty on me for opposing NATO supplies: Hafiz Saeed - Apr 03, 2012
- Pakistan to reassess ties with US, NATO: Gilani - Dec 10, 2011
- Is Pakistan heading towards global isolation, wonders daily - Dec 13, 2011
- Pakistan disagrees with US findings on NATO attack - Jan 24, 2012
- Afghanistan to probe NATO airstrike on Pakistan - Nov 28, 2011
- US starts vacating Pakistani airbase - Dec 04, 2011
- `Pakistan ready to communicate with coalition forces' - Dec 14, 2011
- Drones will strike as long as US wants: Pakistani daily - Feb 24, 2012
- Pakistan's parliamentary body to decide on NATO supplies - Dec 30, 2011
- Antipathy to the US has become visceral: Pakistani daily - Feb 16, 2012
- ISI chief visits Qatar (Lead) - Dec 30, 2011
Tags: afghanistan karzai, afghanistan president hamid, airbase, anand sharma, balochistan, breakfast meeting, commerce minister, day trip, dozen soldiers, drone, geo news, hamid karzai, indian commerce, indian influence, northwest region, pakistan islamabad, pakistani army, president hamid karzai, saudi arabia, trade agreements