Regional cooperation essential to fight terrorism: ZardariJune 26th, 2010 - 10:47 pm ICT by IANS
Islamabad, June 26 (IANS) Pakistani President Asif Ali Zardari Saturday stressed the importance of regional cooperation and trans-national linkages to wipe out the scourge of terrorism from the South Asian region.
“It is therefore, national and collective responsibility to make sincere efforts and implement strategies to rid the South Asian region of terrorism and militancy,” he said at a meeting with the interior/home ministers of South Asian Association for Regional Cooperation (SAARC) member states who called on him at the Aiwan-e-Sadr, Online news agency reported.
“Each act of terror reminded us of the gravity of the issue of terrorism which transcended national boundaries and considerations of ethnicity, religion and civilizations,” he said, reaffirming his country’s position that it is opposed to all forms of terrorism regardless of where from they originated or where they struck.
Zardari said that the countries should join hands to identify and punish the perpetrators of terrorism instead of resorting to a blame game which, he said, was counter productive and played into the hands of militants.
He said Pakistan had embarked upon a plan to reform the education sector as part of a long term strategy to fight the militant mindset.
Zardari said that regional cooperation in South Asia is the only realistic way forward for which SAARC should be made more relevant and visible.
Those who called on the president included India’s P.Chidambaram, Afghanistan’s Mohammad Munir Mangal, Bhutan’s Lyonpo Minjur Dorji, Maldives’ Mohamed Shihab, Nepal’s Bhim Bahadur Rawal and Sri Lanka’s Ratnasiri Wickramanayaka.
The interior secretaries of the SAARC countries and SAARC Secretary General Sheel Kant Sharma were also present during the meeting.
- Pakistan proposes common police force for SAARC - Jun 26, 2010
- Terrorist held near Pakistani president's house - Sep 28, 2011
- New cross-LoC CBMs on anvil; 26/11, Fai to figure in India-Pakistan talks (Second Lead) - Jul 24, 2011
- India, Pakistan to ease cross-Kashmir trade, travel (Lead) - Jul 23, 2011
- Pakistan honours Chinese general - Nov 24, 2011
- Pakistan honours Chinese Vice Premier Zhang - Jun 09, 2010
- Chidambaram in Thimphu for SAARC security conference - Jul 22, 2011
- Collective steps needed to tackle terror: Rehman Malik - Jul 25, 2011
- Home secretary to attend SAARC security conference - Jul 20, 2011
- Home secretary to attend SAARC security conference (Lead) - Jul 20, 2011
- Strengthen Pakistan-US trade ties: Zardari to Sherry - Nov 25, 2011
- Resumption of Indo-Pak talks will help remove mistrust: Zardari - Jul 15, 2010
- Pakistan proposes SAARC police force - Jun 26, 2010
- SAARC to get first woman secretary general - Jan 18, 2011
- Every incident of terrorism despicable: Pak Foreign Secretary - Feb 07, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,