Raymond Davis sent to 14-day judicial remandFebruary 11th, 2011 - 1:32 pm ICT by IANS
Lahore, Feb 11 (IANS) US official Raymond Davis, who shot dead two Pakistanis that sparked a row between Washington and Islamabad, was sent to 14-day judicial custody by a court here, an official said.”He (Davis) has been remanded in judicial custody for 14 days. The next hearing will be Feb 25,” the Geo News quoted Punjab government prosecutor Abdul Samad as saying.
“He is being sent to central jail Kot Lakhpat,” said police official Suhail Sukhera in reference to the high-security prison in Lahore.
The arrest of Davis, an American employee of the US diplomatic mission in Pakistan, after he shot dead two Pakistani men on a motorcycle Jan 27 in Lahore, has triggered a major row between the US and Pakistan.
Davis opened fire when the two men, who some reports now say were Pakistani intelligence operatives tailing him, came close to his car. The American has said he fired in self-defence because he thought they were robbers.
The incident led to a third death when a speeding US consulate vehicle coming to the rescue of Davis overran a motorcyclist.
US officials have threatened to cut the $1.5 billion of annual aid to Pakistan if Davis is not released, and Tuesday put bilateral contacts on hold.
The case took a dramatic turn Sunday when widow of one of the victims of the Lahore shooting, Muhammad Fahim, committed suicide, turning public opinion further against the jailed American.
The woman apparently feared that her husband’s killer would be let off by the Pakistan government.
- Free Davis or Pakistani envoy will be booted out: US (Lead) - Feb 11, 2011
- US official to be charged with murder: Pakistani police - Feb 11, 2011
- I'll go on hunger strike, threatens Davis - Feb 23, 2011
- Davis case: Foreign ministry seeks more time from court - Feb 17, 2011
- Two US law experts reach Lahore to provide legal assistance to Davis - Mar 05, 2011
- Pakistani court frees Davis (Second Lead) - Mar 16, 2011
- Pakistan court indicts Davis for double murder (Lead) - Mar 16, 2011
- Davis' trial to be held at Lahore's Kot Lakhpat prison - Feb 22, 2011
- Pak court rejects Davis' plea for diplomatic immunity - Mar 03, 2011
- US seeks immediate release of Davis - Feb 12, 2011
- Raymond Davis on hunger strike over 'substandard food' in Pak prison - Feb 23, 2011
- Don't free Davis, warns ex-spy chief (Lead) - Feb 10, 2011
- Davis double-murder hearing adjourned until March 3 after he refuses to sign challan - Feb 25, 2011
- Raymond Davis is a CIA spy, says British daily - Feb 21, 2011
- Pak court indicts Raymond Davis for double murder - Mar 16, 2011
Tags: central jail, diplomatic mission, geo news, government prosecutor, high security, intelligence operatives, islamabad, judicial custody, judicial remand, motorcyclist, muhammad, pakistan government, pakistanis, police official, public opinion, raymond davis, robbers, samad, security prison, self defence