Ravi Shankar visits Iraq to broker peace between Shias and SunnisDecember 23rd, 2008 - 3:25 pm ICT by ANI
By K.G Vasuki
Baghdad (Iraq), Dec 23 (ANI): Indian spiritual guru Sri Ravi Shankar is on a visit to Iraq to bring closer the Shia and Sunni communities who have been fighting against each other.
Ravi Shankar, who runs Art of Living Foundation, has been teaching yoga and meditation to the war-weary Iraqis and his foundation is working for rehabilitation of the war victims in Iraq since 2003.
Ravi Shankar met many Iraqi tribal and other political leaders in Baghdad in an effort to facilitate mending fences between the two communities.
He said the process was underway and his foundation was working towards establishing harmony among the warring factions. “We are already doing it. If you see in our centres, they have brought both the communities together. There are Sunni and Shia and then there are Kurdish people in the north. So, that effort has begun from the very first day,” he added.
Ravi Shankar’’s foundation is involved in many humanitarian activities in Iraq and is helping the war ravaged Iraqis to re-build their lives.
The Art of Living Foundation volunteers are working with the women, many of whom have lost their kin in the on-going conflict in Iraq, and help them to become self reliant.
“Some of them are widows, some of them have experiences that they have lost someone from their families. There is not a single family which has not lost its people. They have suffered form the war and now they have hope, because we have given them hope. We are teaching them computers, tailoring and we are also giving them trauma relief,” said Mawahib, Art of Living teacher.
Ravi Shankar has taken his courses to millions of people in 151 countries. His Foundation raises hundreds of millions of dollars a year and spends almost all on running schools, drug rehabilitation centres and on charity.
Ravi Shankar’’s teachings are based on ancient teachings of yoga, but he has added elements of his own and aligned it with meditation techniques. (ANI)
- Argentina varsity to foster ties with Art of Living - Sep 07, 2012
- After war, Iraqis tell their tales through films - Apr 22, 2012
- Ravi Shankar in Argentina to promote world peace - Sep 05, 2012
- 9,000 Syrian refugees reach Iraq - Jul 22, 2012
- 23 protesters killed in Iraq's 'Day of Rage' - Feb 26, 2011
- Interpol red corner notice against fugitive Iraqi vice president - May 08, 2012
- New violence forces Christians to flee Iraq - Dec 13, 2010
- Argentine youth seek peace through Indian guru - Sep 09, 2012
- Thousands of Argentines turn up to hear Indian guru - Sep 06, 2012
- 12 killed in Iraq suicide attack - Feb 21, 2011
- Two Shia clerics killed in Iraq drive-by shooting - Sep 01, 2012
- 20 killed, 125 wounded in Iraq car bombing (Lead) - Jun 04, 2012
- TV host killed in Iraq bombing - Apr 04, 2012
- Argentines throng meditation session with Sri Sri Ravi Shankar - Sep 10, 2012
- All US troops out of Iraq - Dec 18, 2011
Tags: art of living foundation, baghdad iraq, drug rehabilitation centres, foundation volunteers, humanitarian activities, mending fences, political leaders, ravi shankar, running schools, shia and sunni, shias and sunnis, single family, spiritual guru, sri ravi shankar, teachings of yoga, trauma relief, vasuki, war victims, warring factions, widows