Rasool to lead Pakistan against India in junior hockeyNovember 2nd, 2008 - 11:31 pm ICT by IANS
Karachi, Nov 2 (IANS) Olympian Shafqat Rasool will lead a 20-man Pakistan junior squad in the five-match hockey Test series against India from Nov 11.Rasool, a talented playmaker who represented Pakistan at this August’s Olympic Games in Beijing, was retained as national junior team captain for the series that is a part of Pakistan’s preparations for next summer’s Junior World Cup. The quadrennial spectacle will be jointly hosted by Malaysia and Singapore in June.
Pakistan’s chief selector Hassan Sardar, a former Pakistan captain, announced the squad after trials here at the HCP Sunday.
PHF president Qasim Zia, secretary Asif Bajwa, selectors Farhat Khan, Khalid Bashir, Muhammad Shafiq, junior team officials and other former Olympians witnessed the trials.
Hassan said that the selectors were forced to select some players in the squad, who have already graduated to the senior team.
“The Junior World Cup is barely eight months away so we cannot do much experimentation,” said Hassan, who replaced former Pakistan captain Islahuddin Siddiqui as the chief selector following Pakistan’s embarrassing eighth position finish in the Beijing Games.
“That is why we have selected some players, who have already played for the senior team. They are still under-21 and are eligible to play in the Junior World Cup,” he said.
Qamar Ibrahim, the new coach of the Pakistan junior team, and fellow team officials, will not even get a week to prepare for the series against India, regarded as the best junior team on the international hockey circuit.
The Indians will arrive in Pakistan on Nov 10 and the opener will be played under floodlights here at the HCP next Tuesday (Nov 11). The remaining four matches of the series will be played in Rawalpindi, Faisalabad, Sialkot and Lahore.
Goalkeepers: Imran Shah Waqas Ahmed
Defenders: Kashif Ali (vice-captain), Muhammad Ateeq, Imran Abbas
Midfielders: Muhammad Irfan, Zaheer, Shahzad, Fareed Ahmed, Muhammad Rashid
Forwards: Adeel Hussain, Shafqat Rasool (captain), Haseem Khan,
Muhammad Zubair, Shahbaz, Rizwan, Taufeeq, Yasir, Hassan Akhtar, Azlan
- Pakistan drop seniors for Asian Champions Trophy hockey - Aug 19, 2011
- Shakeel Abbasi to lead Pakistan hockey team, Sohail Abbas back - Oct 11, 2011
- Pakistan omit skipper Imran and Waseem from Olympic hockey probables - Feb 18, 2012
- Pakistan axe top hockey stars for Azlan Shah Cup - Apr 28, 2010
- Central contracts for Pakistan hockey players - Feb 18, 2012
- Zeeshan to lead Pakistan men's hockey team in CWG - Sep 28, 2010
- Pakistan recall rebel hockey players for Euro tour - Jun 08, 2012
- 'Sohail, Akbar will boost Pakistan's chances in Asian Games hockey' - Nov 03, 2010
- Pakistan determined to win Azlan Shah Cup, says Imran - May 01, 2011
- Pakistan hockey squad quits, officials sacked after World Cup debacle (Lead) - Mar 12, 2010
- Abbas overlooked for Pakistan's CWG and Asian Games squads - Jul 29, 2010
- Pak hockey coach confident of good show in World Cup - Jan 17, 2010
- Pakistan recalls senior players in hockey team - Jun 30, 2010
- 14 Pakistanis sign up for Hockey India League auction - Sep 09, 2012
- Seven top players excluded from Pak hockey squad for Azlan Shah Cup - Apr 29, 2010