Rare book on political and economic history of India digitizedSeptember 5th, 2010 - 11:44 am ICT by ANI
Washington, Sept 5 (ANI): The rare book, “India Illustrated” has now been digitally preserved by The University of Houston Digital Library, and is available online for students, historians and others around the world who are interested in the social, economic and political history of India.
“Our efforts preserve this rare book. We have digitized it cover-to-cover and could reproduce the entire book should anything happen to the originals,” said Michelle Reilly, digital projects program director.
The book was apparently published after 1900, but before 1910. There are three copies known to exist. One is housed in the British Library; the other at the National Library Board, Singapore.
A UH team of seven painstakingly took each fragile page, scanned it and catalogued it. Each description and title was taken directly from the text.
The paper is very slick and doesn’t preserve well. The binding is coming off. We wanted to digitally preserve it. While it is still available to view at our Special Collections, we wanted to minimize the handling of the text because that is what harms it the most,” Reilly said.
The book was published by Bennett, Coleman and Co., which also published the English language newspaper Times of India. There are more than 200 pictures showing various images of life and architecture of India, from Madras fisherman to Alligator Pier in Karachi; from a view of Bombay from the Rajabai Towers; to an unconventional view of the Taj Mahal.
“Photographs such as these are not widely available, and the University of Houston Libraries has done scholars of British India a great service by digitizing this source and making it widely accessible,” she said. (ANI)
- Google to digitise 250,000 British Library books - Jun 21, 2011
- World's largest oceanography library digitized - May 23, 2010
- Colonial India's treasures live in a Delhi home - Dec 14, 2011
- Mukherjee's priority - to return Rashtrapati Bhavan library to pristine glory - Sep 09, 2012
- Oldest surviving Christian Bible goes online - Jul 06, 2009
- Shanghai libraries come together to woo readers - Jun 15, 2012
- Malaysian IT consultant to digitalise heritage Tamil inscriptions for posterity - Jun 28, 2010
- Endangered Chinese alligators' population rising - Apr 19, 2012
- Deepak Chopra's 'Kama Sutra' launched in digital format - Feb 19, 2012
- E-books, e-library - for your reading pleasure - Sep 06, 2012
- Photographs, litho-prints declared rare manuscripts - Jun 15, 2011
- History Channel Features The Library Of Congress On "Modern Marvels" - Jun 11, 2010
- Bangladesh seeks synergy with Aligarh Muslim university (With Image) - Mar 13, 2011
- Amazon planning an e-book rental service - Sep 13, 2011
- `Don Quixote' becomes interactive - Oct 28, 2010
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,