Rape, gang rape cases increasing in PakistanDecember 27th, 2010 - 7:13 pm ICT by ANI
Islamabad, Dec 27 (ANI): The incidents of sexual harassment against women, particularly rape and gang rape incidents have increased at an alarmingly rate of over 13 percent across Punjab and the Gujranwala regions in Pakistan.
The Nation quoted statistics report as saying that about 110 women out of total 271 and 358 out of 2,427 women became victims of gang rape and rape in the Lahore region with an increase by 12.5 and 13.5 percent during the first 11 months of current year as compared to the corresponding period of 2009.
About 271 incidents of gang rape took place in 35 districts of the Punjab in 2010 with the difference of 13 percent as compared to 2009 in which only 136 such incidents had occurred.
The DG Khan region comprising of the districts of Rajanpur, Muzaffargarh and Layyah, remained at the lowest level as only two incidents of gang rape took place in Layyah during this span of time, the paper said.
Forty-nine gang rape cases were registered in Lahore, 30 in Sheikhupura, 25 in Kasur, 16 in Gujranwala, 11 each in Rawalpindi and Faisalabad, it added.
The provincial police however have reportedly arrested only 385 rapists out of 643 while 48 cases of gang rape are still under investigation. About 125 challans were sent in the courts and the Punjab police cancelled 47 cases besides furnishing different pleas.
About 2,427 women/girls became victims of during the 11 months of 2010 with 12.5 percent increase as compared to the same era of the last year in which above 2,184 women were raped, with the Bahawalpur region the most susceptible as many as 496 incidents occurred there. (ANI)
- Pakistan to provide security, assistance to Mukhtaran Mai - Apr 22, 2011
- 7,571 incidents of violence against Pak women reported in 2008 - Aug 13, 2009
- Shrines in Pak Punjab province at risk of terror attacks in absence of security measures - Oct 25, 2010
- Pak ranked poor 104th for providing property rights for women - Jul 22, 2010
- No adequate security for Aasia Bibi: Report - Jan 13, 2011
- Pakistan's apex court acquits five in Mukhtaran Mai rape case - Apr 21, 2011
- Floods claim over 230 lives in Pakistan (Lead) - Jul 30, 2010
- Blasphemy accused Pak-Christian woman may be shifted to women-only jail for safety - Jan 18, 2011
- Mukhtaran Mai verdict a disappointment: Sherry Rehman (Lead) - Apr 22, 2011
- Mukhtaran Mai verdict a disappointment: Sherry Rehman - Apr 22, 2011
- Paltrow lands final 2010 Walk Of Fame star - Dec 10, 2010
- Widow 'gang-raped' by train robbers in Bengal - Feb 26, 2012
- Blasts kill 10 in Pakistan (Second Lead) - Jun 05, 2011
- Pakistani border police charged with rape at check post - Jun 10, 2012
- Pak Supreme Court acquits five of six accused in Mukhtaran Mai gang rape case - Apr 21, 2011
Tags: challans, dg, gang rape, kasur, layyah, pakistan islamabad, provincial police, punjab police, rape cases, rape gang, rapists, rawalpindi, sexual harassment, sheikhupura, span of time, statistics report, women girls