Raja Pervez Ashraf is PPP candidate for PM’s post (Lead)June 22nd, 2012 - 3:02 pm ICT by IANS
Islamabad, June 22 (IANS) Raja Pervez Ashraf was Friday officially declared as the joint candidate for the post of Pakistan’s prime minister by the Pakistan Peoples Party (PPP) and its allies, Muttahida Qaumi Movement (MQM), Awami National Party (ANP) and Pakistan Muslim League-Quaid (PML-Q).
The announcement was made by PPP’s Khursheed Shah, Haider Abbas Rizvi of the MQM and Afrasiab Khattak of the ANP, Dawn News reported.
On Thursday night, the coalition partners, at a meeting chaired by President Asif Ali Zardari, authorised the PPP to name the next prime ministerial candidate, Geo News said.
During the meeting attended by leaders of the PML-Q, the MQM and the ANP, the allies unanimously approved the name of Ashraf for the post, presidential spokesman Farhatullah Babar said.
A special session of the National Assembly has been summoned Friday evening to elect the new prime minister, after Yousuf Raza Gilani was disqualified by the Supreme Court. Speaker Fehmida Mirza will chair the proceedings.
Two opposition candidates, Maulana Fazlur Rehman from the Jamiat Ulema-e-Islam-Fazl (JUI-F) and Sardar Mehtab Abbasi from the Pakistan Muslim League-Nawaz (PML-N), had filed nomination papers Thursday.
Tipped earlier as a covering candidate, Ashraf was Thursday named the party’s main candidate for the office of prime minister following the issue of a non-bailable arrest warrant against the previous contender Makhdoom Shahabuddin.
Shahabuddin’s name was dropped after an anti-narcotics court Thursday issued a non-bailable arrest warrant against him as well as disqualified prime minister Yousuf Raza Gilani’s son Ali Musa in an illegal drugs quota case, Geo News reported.
- Raja Pervez Ashraf elected Pakistan's 25th PM (Lead) - Jun 22, 2012
- Race for Pakistan PM: PPP drops Shahabuddin, names Ashraf (Evening Lead) - Jun 21, 2012
- Shahabuddin dropped, Raja Pervez Ashraf is PPP's new PM hopeful (Lead) - Jun 21, 2012
- Zardari picks Shahabuddin as Pakistan PM - Jun 21, 2012
- Five in race for Pakistan PM's post (Lead) - Jun 21, 2012
- Shahabuddin, Gilani's son face arrest (Lead) - Jun 21, 2012
- Arrest warrants issued against Shahabuddin, Gilani's son - Jun 21, 2012
- Zardari fields Shahabuddin for Pakistan PM's post (Lead) - Jun 21, 2012
- PPP leaders pick Makhdoom Shahabuddin as new PM (Lead) - Jun 20, 2012
- Ready to give up presidency: Zardari - Jan 11, 2012
- PPP nominates Shahabuddin for prime minister's post (Lead) - Jun 21, 2012
- Breakthrough eludes Gilani in Pakistan's political crisis (Lead) - Jan 03, 2011
- Pakistan's ruling party, PML-Q try to corner Nawaz Sharif - Oct 27, 2010
- Shahabuddin gets bail in Pakistan drugs quota case - Jun 22, 2012
- Pakistan PM Gilani in India for World Cup semifinal (Lead) - Mar 30, 2011
Tags: arrest warrant against, asif ali zardari, awami national party, dawn news, fazl, geo news, gilani, khattak, mehtab, new prime minister, nomination papers, opposition candidates, pakistan muslim league, pakistan muslim league nawaz, pakistan peoples party, pml n, post lead, presidential spokesman, prime ministerial candidate, shahabuddin