Protection team locked Rushdie in cupboard and went to the pub!July 28th, 2008 - 2:37 pm ICT by ANI
London, July 28 (ANI): Salman Rushdies police minders were so fed up of the authors rude and arrogant behavior that they once locked him in a cupboard and went to the pub.
In his autobiography, Ex-Special Branch detective Ron Evans, who guarded Rushdie after a fatwa issued by the Iranian Ayatollah on his book Satanic Verses, dubbed the authot as tight-fisted, rude and arrogant, and revealed that the protection team had nicknamed him Scruffy because of his unkempt appearance.
He said that on one occasion they were confined to their rooms so Rushdie - codenamed Joe - could spend an intimate evening with girlfriend and later third wife Elizabeth West.
Evans revealed that one night, he and two colleagues had a few bottles of red wine and went looking for more.
They found “a few dozen” bottles of French wine, and an officer was sent to ask Rushdie if they could buy them.
“He returned a few minutes later. ”He says it”ll cost us PS45 a bottle.” Joe wanted corkage! Clearly, he was not a generous man,” Telegraph quoted him as saying.
“The original team with Scruffy got so fed up with his attitude that they locked him in a cupboard under the stairs and all went to the local pub for a pint or two. When they were suitably refreshed they came back and let him out,” he added. (ANI)
- 'Rushdie sought money from police for protecting him' - Jul 28, 2008
- Rushdie to sue author over libellous portrayal - Aug 02, 2008
- Rushdie threatens to sue ex-bodyguard for 'defaming' him - Aug 02, 2008
- WWE Raw: Ziggler vs Bourne - Jul 26, 2011
- Rushdie & god: Jaipur Lit Fest ends on sombre note - Jan 24, 2012
- Rushdie unlikely to attend Jaipur Festival - Jan 17, 2012
- WWE Smackdown: Jack Swagger vs Evan Bourne - Oct 01, 2011
- Sentiments vs freedom: Rushdie issue festers - Jan 29, 2012
- Suspense continues over Rushdie's Jaipur visit (Lead) - Jan 19, 2012
- Salman Rushdie's heritage house in Himachal crumbling (With Image) - Sep 20, 2010
- Suspense continues over Rushdie's Jaipur visit - Jan 19, 2012
- Uncertainty looms over Rushdie's video address (Lead) - Jan 23, 2012
- Rushdie address called off as Muslims threaten trouble (Lead) - Jan 24, 2012
- People find Italian 'Hitler' wine bottles offensive - Aug 09, 2012
- 'I've already died twice,' says Gazza - Mar 11, 2011
Tags: autobiography, ayatollah, codenamed, cupboard, dozen bottles, elizabeth west, fatwa, french wine, generous man, intimate evening, local pub, minders, pint, red wine, ron evans, salman, stairs, unkempt appearance, west evans, wife elizabeth