Probe complete in Pakistani journalist’s killingDecember 14th, 2011 - 9:52 pm ICT by IANS
Islamabad, Dec 14 (IANS) The commission investigating the killing of Pakistani journalist Saleem Shahzad said Wednesday its had completed its inquiry and would submit its report to the government within a month.
The 40-year-old Shahzad, who was Southeast Asia bureau chief for Asia Times Online and also worked for Adnkroknos International, disappeared in Islamabad May 29. His body was recovered two days later in Mandi Bahauddin, 150 km from the capital. The body bore signs of torture.
Taimur Asmat Usman, the secretary of the inquiry commission, said Wednesday the panel tried its best to collect all relevant material and evidence, AKI news agency reported.
The commission recorded the statement of ISI officials Brig. Zahid Mehmood Khan, Rear Admiral Adnan Nazir, Brig. Iftikhar Ali Khan and Commodore Khalid Pervaiz.
The killing occurred just days after Shahzad published an article in Asia Times Online alleging links between Al Qaeda and officials in the Pakistani navy. Suspicion fell on Pakistan’s spy agency ISI, which denied involvement in his death.
Pervaiz Shaukat, president of the Pakistan Federal Union of Journalists, represented the journalist community.
Shaukat submitted his statement Tuesday to the commission. It contained details of his recent meeting with the family of the late journalist in Karachi.
“We have been extremely careful and meticulous in ensuring that the evidence is collected from every possible source, covering all aspects,” Shaukat said.
- Pakistan reporter was not supposed to be killed: Report - Sep 30, 2011
- Family waits for report on Pakistani journalist's killing - Nov 30, 2011
- Shahzad killing: Media organisation chief criticises ISI - Jun 03, 2011
- ISI left out in Pakistani journalist's killing report: HRW - Jan 30, 2012
- Abducted Pakistani journalist tortured and killed (Intro Night Lead) - Jun 01, 2011
- Cops squabble over jurisdiction in Shahzad probe - Jun 02, 2011
- Pakistan fails to trace journalist's killers - Jan 13, 2012
- Pakistan apex court judge to head Shahzad killing probe - Jun 16, 2011
- Pakistan appoints official to probe journalist's death - Jun 14, 2011
- ISI ordered Shahzad's killing: US officials - Jul 05, 2011
- Slain Pakistani reporter to be honoured in US - May 10, 2012
- Italian MP wants international probe into Shahzad's murder - Jun 16, 2011
- Slain Pakistani journalist's widow records statement - Sep 21, 2011
- Shahzad murder probe panel fails to get phone record - Jul 20, 2011
- Pakistan journalists want Shahzad probe panel by June 10 - Jun 03, 2011
Tags: adnan, ali khan, asia times, asmat, brig, bureau chief, commodore, inquiry commission, isi, karachi, khalid, mehmood khan, nazir, pakistani journalist, pakistani navy, rear admiral, relevant material, southeast asia, spy agency, zahid